Home Career & Education

I am giving myself a year to build a 2D portfolio. Any advice?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
 Before anything else, my plan can be delayed because I need to re-learn the digital painting with Clip Studio Paint. So the actual plan can start later this year or even by the end of this year. 

OK, so...I wanna create a portfolio with characters and props. Maybe a little bit of backgrounds but mostly characters and props. I was told that I should be concentrating on specific things because a portfolio with overly diverse subject matters and styles can confuse the recruiter. 

I know that it sounds like an overkill, but I intend to do more than 20 pieces of artworks. I know. But what I plan to do is to use a printing/publishing service to create a batch of artbooks. (maybe...eventually...)

I live in LA area, and still have no idea how many shops are accepting somewhat stylized character design approach, since everybody does the same. Sorry guys I am at work right now and had too much caffeine so I am rambling too much. I do have an idea what to put into my portfolio but the idea is still fuzzy. Maybe I should write down what to do thoroughly first?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Learn your figure drawing.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    I do need to brush up my short pose drawings. I wonder if Youtube channels are good enough for gesture drawings. (yes, there are nude pose videos on Youtube, all legit.)

BTW, one major reason why I stepped back from 3D for now is that I have no clue how to teach myself beyond basic, I mean very basic modeling. This Fall I will try a intro to modeling class at a local community college, although they teach Maya instead of my weapon of choice, Modo. I really need guides and mentoring to learn CG. After three semesters at that community college I will save up money for some modeling classes at Gnomon eventually. But I need to brush up my 2D skills and rebuild my portfolio/showcase from the scratch.
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    3D is a deep subject; some master one area, some take years and years to understand the entire world of 3D.
  • SpaceRogue
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    If you're going to make 20 things for your portfolio, at the end of the year, I'd suggest taking the best 10 things and leaving out the other 10 things. This is a tip I've read a bunch of times for 3D portfolios, so I'm not sure about 2D.
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    I like stylized characters. However, the majority of AAA games use photo-realistic characters, even when doing sci-fi and fantasy. I you plan on a portfolio for AAA studios, you need at least SOME non-stylized characters.  If you are going to for 'whatever studios can use your particular style', then of course do whatever you want.

I've noticed a trend to using more photorealistic concepts for characters, as well. As in, the production of concepts often involves a lot of manipulating photos in order to get realistic representation of surfaces etc in the concept. Once again, if you don't care about AAA trends, this might not matter to you.

So, you should specify what you want to do with the portfolio...what sort of jobs you want it to help you get. If you are just thinking 'games', that is not specific enough. Call of Duty is not the same thing as Journey, or Angry Birds.