Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gniiih, this thing is hurting my eyes

EVF
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EVF polycounter lvl 3
So this is a recent render, right about now, smthg looks wrong but can't figure it out... Roof color? lack of focus? design?
Advice and critiques truly welcomed :)

Edit, switched roof color from lime green to turquoise

Replies

• chubbycat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chubbycat polycounter lvl 6
    Most of the issues lie in the values of the piece... they are so similar that they don't end up reading well (especially from far away!). It's hard for the eye to find a settling point because it's too busy trying to understand what is what. I've inserted a bnw version of your image below. The more you zoom out, the harder it becomes to read.

The colour palette in general is of very high chroma which, like the values, isn't helping the read. I know this is supposed to be a fun bubbly piece, but there needs to be value and chroma differences throughout the image. 

I hope this was helpful :) Beside those issues, the design itself is really cute :blush:

• EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @chubbycat chubbycat !!!
    But of course, at no point did i check my values during the process! No wonder it's hurting my eyes.
     Thank you for pointing it out, it helped a lot! I usually do a value check, but skipped it here for some reason :/
    Thanks for the help!

Quick update, there is still pbs to resolve, but i believe i'm in the right direction.

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    This extra shadow and highlight pass you added makes it much more interesting to look at, I think even if you had kept that previous saturated palette.

I think the black background might make it difficult for you to get a feeling if the lighting is right or not.
    Use anything you can to help you work better. In this case, painting stuff with a sky background that matches your lighting and time of day. You can change it to black later of course.
  • EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @RN Thanks, good to know i'm going in the right direction
    And good idea about the sky, I have a few more sketch similar to this, will try that next.
    Cheers!
  • chubbycat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chubbycat polycounter lvl 6
    Update looks great EVF! 
    No worries at all, I'm happy to help any time :)