Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Witch's swamp lair - Handpainted Environment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Tomseas polycounter lvl 5
Hey Polycount.
For one of my classes' exam I have to make a handpainted scene with a few elements (house/tree/rock).  After some brainstorming I've decided to go with a small scene with a Halloween vibe. I have about two weeks left on it as of today.
The assignment has to kind of fit into a moba but is also meant for 3rd person (not very clear). It's mostly to prevent us from going with too many small props/details.

Here's the base block-in:

I think the main shapes read ok as a silhouette although the base rock might get rotated for a better read.

Back view is a lot more plain to fit the moba part of the assignment but there's some things missing

Here's the first sculpt I did. Tried keeping it very simple. Might revisit it if I have time.

And some of the props I've sculpted so far too.

Replies

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    subbed! Great work! 
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    looks great! Keep it up!
  • Piffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piffles polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good so far! I don't think you'll have to worry about the lack of detail back of the piece too much once you have painted textures on this.
  • Tomseas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @wirrexx @Elithenia @Piffles Thanks guys I really appreciate it alot. Hopefully the textures won't be too bad considering I can't paint well at all.

Quick update. Some more sculpts for you guys. I'm behind on my schedule unfortunately, but tomorrow should be my last day of sculpting, uvs, and checking my bakes. Only have a few more pieces left to do then I should have about a week and a half of time to texture, setup my scene in sketchfab and any other things that might come up.
    I realized most of the images have my mouse right front and center. I need to sleep asap.

Since my pc lags easily i had to split up my house is several files so here's some of the stuff for it:
    -Main door
    -some example of the wood/stone work
    -example of some wall cracks
    -some windows

And a tileable stone texture in the works

Now I have a question about ground textures. For wood/stone it's really easy to get it to tile because of the grid, but how should i approach something more organic? This is sort of what I'm aiming for: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/m8kw1 (Tobias Koepp).

I've looked up some things and a video had a method where you'd save your sculpt as a displacement map, and fix the tiling issue in PS. But I was curious to know another potential mock up. Here's an example of quickly throwing  something together and getting the seems.

• EEEnt_OFFICIAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EEEnt_OFFICIAL polycounter lvl 2
    Great work so far. I do like the haunted tree holding the cage. :)
  • Tomseas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EEEnt_OFFICIAL: Thanks for the kind words!

Had a horrible week end full of set backs because I had to work away from home on a subpar setup. The result is that I didn't get anywhere close to what i wanted (I had to spend 2 days doing what should've happened in half a day). So painting has yet to commence. So a poor man's update instead.
    Here's my tiling textures. I rendered a number of passes in zbrush that I will composite in PS. In addition there should be a fifth tiling texture of ground grass which I will paint as I have no idea how I should/would approach it by sculpt.

• EEEnt_OFFICIAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem; keep it up. :)
  • Tomseas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Way overdue for an update. I was struggling a lot with the texturing since this was the first time doing something hand painted in addition to using 3dCoat, and to top it all of I generally dislike the texturing part. Regardless I did hand in something for my exam and got a lot of great feedback so I'll go back to the piece to start fixing things.
    Here's what the [for now] result is:

And some close ups:

I need to work a lot on my presentation skills (in addition to all the rest) because it makes it look lack luster. If anyone's got some solid links on how to present scenes like this I'd love to learn about them.

In case you wanted to move around the model some more here's a sketchfab too:
    model
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    i would add some sky or a void/hollow background, i would also change the light from the windows to be the same ( you can't possibly have orange light from the front and green from the side in such a small house, it is barely 2 rooms!)
    You also have a wood extending randomly to the inside of your house. If you dont have plans on using the inside, i would delete every face there to win some tris.

I love the style in general, and i like the ground having a skull face as well!

i also have some questions.
    1) did you make the skeleton inside the cage?
    2) the roof tiles on the sides,have gaps between them. Did you make the texture transparent in there or did you just place some independent bricks outside the tileable texture?
    3) is the candle flame, a plane? It could also use a little emissive material
    4)Also, what is your triangle count?

for a stylized environment you kept it consistent, so congratz to this as well!
  • EEEnt_OFFICIAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene makes me think of those Team Fortress 2 halloween event maps, with the muddy browns and the chilling greens. :)
  • Tomseas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Larry: Good point on the background. I wanted to do it but wasn't sure how to approach it. Will fix it.
    They said the same thing about the windows, and quite frankly I felt the same way a bit. My initial reasoning was green= work space in the house, red= living space but in the end it felt too forced and out of place.
    The wood inside the house is because I copy pasted beams while using instances. Am I still supposed to clean that up after merging my modifiers in max?

1. For the skeleton, I took the high poly base from zbrush (that you can find in the lightbox), and then manually did a retopo to try and get familiar with the retopo process some more since this was the first time doing it. Then I scaled some things to change the proportions away from being realistic. So I guess partially mine?

2. I places individual tiles on the roof's lower edges to break up what would've been a flat plane. Just matched the uvs to have it blend.

3. It is a plane and actually has an emmisive. Not sure why but while previewing the scene in marmoset it looked okay but in sketchfab that emmisive on the candles looked off. I'll try and fix it for the next update.

4. Tri count is stupidly high for the size of the scene. Around 100k but there's a lot of geo that isn't optimized for sure. The ropes are 5 sided cylinders when they could be a plane, The chains have the same issue. Instead of a plane they are 64 tris each which is overkill for how small those things are. Since this could potentially be used as a portfolio piece once I finish things I wanted to use the extra geo to make it look good.