Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'The Keeper' game res gothic/ steampunk villain

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
MoostifurArt polycounter lvl 5
Conceptual drawing done by: https://www.artstation.com/artist/caisne

This dude was a lot of fun to make. 

Just started with an anatomical sculpt in Zbrush and then built the hard surface objects on top with the topology brush and zmodeler.  Some of the more geometrically simplistic hard surface items that didn't need to contour the body were modeled in Maya.  I subdivided each tool to level 6 or 7 to sculpt in finer details.  For the fabric I used Marvelous designer.  The hood retopologized nicely with z-remesh but had to retopologize the pants in Maya with quad draw.  Also used quad draw retopologize the face and exposed areas of the body.  Designated each respective material with it's own polygroup and baked the groups to polypaint.  After UVing the low poly items in Maya (with bonus tools: auto unwrap) I baked out the normal, AO and color ID maps in xNormals.  From there the baked maps were taken into Quixel suite where I did a few minor additions with NDO on the normal maps and then did the PBR texturing in DDO.  After finishing the textures I brought the low res A-pose model back into maya and gave him a quick rig and basic pose.
Lit and rendered the model in Marmoset Toolbag. 

While I am relatively happy with how this guy turned out I would love to hear feedback on how I can make improvements for my next character.  Thanks!