Home Career & Education

How important art is in your life?

triangle
Offline / Send Message
SamStark triangle

What role does art (2D or 3D) plays in your life? Is it only a job? a study? a hobby? a passion?

My computer was down for a week recently (just fixed it). What pains me the most is not because I can't play games, it's because that I lost access to MAYA. I've came to realize that making 3D models have become such important thing in my life, it's a thing that I have to do everyday, like eating and sleeping.
I've started doing 3D as a way to spend time when I was in high school, then it became work as I was doing game design with some indie groups, and now I'm studying it in college (TAFE). I didn't realize I've become so passionate about creating virtual reality, objects or character. I hope that I can keep on creating, and I wish that people will not lose your passion from when you first started.

Happy creating!

Replies

• WiktorWasowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WiktorWasowski polycounter lvl 3
    Definitely a passion. However, for me it's not just passion for a particular field like 3D graphics. No matter how much I love doing it, I could just pause and do something completely different as long as it lets me express myself. It's about anything that gives birth to something that came from my imagination. For example, aside from being a 3D artist, I also do programming. And for me, programming is art as well because it also lets me create something new and interesting.
  • SamStark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamStark triangle
    Definitely a passion. However, for me it's not just passion for a particular field like 3D graphics. No matter how much I love doing it, I could just pause and do something completely different as long as it lets me express myself. It's about anything that gives birth to something that came from my imagination. For example, aside from being a 3D artist, I also do programming. And for me, programming is art as well because it also lets me create something new and interesting.
    True, I recently got into coding as well, liking it better and better since I started to understand it.
  • WiktorWasowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WiktorWasowski polycounter lvl 3
    SamStark said:
    True, I recently got into coding as well, liking it better and better since I started to understand it.
    That's cool! Creating worlds that look like you want them to is one great thing, but additionally being able to make them behave like you imagine is a whole another (and just as exciting) story. :smile:
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I wouldn't even make a distinction. keyboard or paintbrush it doesn't matter - if you're coding to bring your vision to life its just as much a part of your art as the triangles or pixels. Vermeer put together intricate devices to implement his ideas, its the same with coding.

You're an artist, beyond that its all tools whether its an easel or a pen or a compiler :) I'm the same and it takes me all over the place from drawing to robotics to animation to whatever. Makes me a generalist in terms of skills i guess, but whatever I need to communicate the idea eh!

Anyway to answer the question - its important, I could never suffer not being able to create stuff in some form day to day.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I think if it's something you enjoy doing almost every day, it feels like cold turkey the moment you don't do it for a long period of time.

To answer your question, yeah, I'd say passion.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you love it, you're willing to be hurt by it.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    somewhere between job and passion. I only do art in my spare time, and I don't have enough of that. Nowadays I mostly help other passionate people to create art, and that too is very rewarding.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    been doing art since I was a child and I enjoy it more as I get older -
    might get back in to watercolours when I retire:)
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I find it meditative.  I make my living with code even though I have an art degree, and I've found that if I don't set aside time for art, I get irritable and have trouble sleeping.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    The day i stop being creative, is the day i am going to die.Creating digital things is my life, you can really do whatever you want without having the hand precision required as in traditional arts,and you can adjust and isolate everything you want to get maximum precision.Which is why i love CG creation. I feel like a minigod, creating my own world, and it does not impact or harm anybody,nor the environment itself (well, using electricity does but thats a very big problem for me to solve)
  • SamStark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamStark triangle
    Larry said:
    without having the hand precision required as in traditional arts,and you can adjust and isolate everything you want to get maximum precision.Which is why i love CG creation. I feel like a minigod, creating my own world.
    Totally agree with this. To be creating non-destructively, not having to worry about not able to go back, certainly one of the greatest thing about CG.