Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Scyth - Low Poly

eXeLeNaS
vertex
Offline / Send Message
eXeLeNaS vertex
Base Mesh modeled in Maya 2016 to be exported in zBrush and detailed.
Base mesh - Wireframe
This weapon is part of a bigger scene wich I am working on.

Replies

• eXeLeNaS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXeLeNaS vertex
    So I finished the first sculpt for the weapon.

Now I am going back into Maya to retopo it and then finish it by applying some fine detail over it back in zBrush and start baking and texturing in Substance Painter.

• eXeLeNaS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXeLeNaS vertex
    Ok so I finished the retopo part , the weapon is mirrored across the X axis. 2678 Polys brought down from 87880. I assigned different materials to it to get it ready for Substance Painter. And I did the UVs using Mayas Bonus tools. Next step is Painter.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Why is the scythe blade on this L Bracket?  It makes it seem precariously fragile.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    I'm unsure why there is a sharpened part facing towards that handle, looks like you'd have trouble cutting off bodyparts with that back of the blade, though it does look cool  and a bit silly. The handle looks like it's not made for human hands, and your low poly on the handle looks like there's just a ton of floating pieces and a lot of unnecessary edgeloops under the floating geometry for no reason. Also that's not really a scythe since there's really no way to harvest wheat and other crops with something like that. Looks more like a halberd or even just an axe since the handle is relatively short.  

• eXeLeNaS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXeLeNaS vertex
    Thank you so much for the comments and critique. Yes, now it struck me that this isn't a scythe it's a halberd, thank you for that. samnvck you are right sir , the handle is not made for humans , this is actually a Gods weapon. I will place my reference here. But please explain to me the part with the "floating geometry" on the handle. Because in my mind the handle is the long green part, that is where the character holds the halberd from. The handle is not the orange part , that's just decorative, ornaments.
  • eXeLeNaS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXeLeNaS vertex
    This is my reference, one of the 3 pictures I could get.

• samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Ahh okay, so the part I was referring to was the orange part at the base. Seeing the scale reference actually helps a lot, I figured the axe was a bit shorter. SO now that I see the reference I'll offer a few more things, make the green part longer, right now it makes it look like a hand axe and not a bardiche. Second the spikes at the tip (gold part) need to be longer/thicker and turned around, notice in your reference the longest spike is on the same side as the blade. And the orange piece that I was talking about with all the floating geometry does need to adjusted into a grip because you wouldn't be just gripping the staff, a hand would generally be near the base (the orange piece) as well to get the most leverage and power out of a swing. See below:

Obviously those are shorter axes but the same principles remain. The hand near the head of the axe slides down the handle as it goes through the swing and picks up momentum for the most amount of leverage. However there will generally always be hand at the base so it should have grip that would work for hands. To be fair the grip probably isn't all that important since I doubt you plan to get a close up of a character holding it but I was just throwing it out there.
  • eXeLeNaS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXeLeNaS vertex
    This is great stuff, thank you. Yes I do think the handle needs to be bigger but I am afraid it would be over exaggerated but I will try and see how it looks. My only other reference was this picture : and I didn't know how to approach the 2 horns made out of gold at the top of the halberd. In 1 picture they are turned inside and in this one I see them turned outside so I went with the outside version, just a personal preference. In this new red picture you can see, in the dark part of the orange "handle" there are those 2 ornaments with the bolts , either those should be smaller so the character can grip where the "U" shape of the "handle" is OR the character really grips the weapon where his green palm is wich make sense, I think. I went in Substance and did a texture for the weapon , please tell me what you think , I wasn't going for 100% like in the image, I wanted the project to have a stylized look to it.
    And yes , the handle really needs to be bigger, it looks ridiculous xD.
  • eXeLeNaS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXeLeNaS vertex
    So this is the final look for the halberd after I elongated the handle. Thank you for your opinions and help. More screenshots are on my artstation here : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9gyZR
    Have a nice day.