Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Hi there. I'm new, and have some questions.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
Bought the academic version a day ago, and I've been trying stuffs. Have some questions :

Is there any way to see you input map after having created the project ? I didn't found any way to see my curvature, or AO, found it pretty odd.
Is there any way to create a layer for a single map ? ( Other than Lowering the opacity. )
What does "Optimize mesh" do ?
Is it possible to work simultaneously on nDo and dDo ? After created a map from nDo, I tried to simply open dDo and add new map ... But something fucked up at some point. Should I work on the 2 separately ?
Is it normal the my curvature maps baked in nDo looks really bad ?..

Thanks for the answers.

(For the Curvature baking fucking up, here's some pictures : http://imgur.com/a/euoW8 )

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey there!

Regarding input maps: The ones 3DO bakes are found in your project's \bakes\ folder.

If you want to create a layer for one map, simply create that layer in Photoshop.

Optimize mesh does this. Long story short, it optimizes the mesh for real-time rendering. ;)

It's possible to work with NDO and DDO simultaneously, but definitely not recommended unless you understand how both tools work intuitively and understand the shortcomings of having them both open at the same time. I'd recommend against it. If you need to add normal details to a project, re-process it through NDO first and reimport the normals into DDO. If you need to give depth to layers, add a bump map to your DDO project and adjust the height of the layers in question.

NDO doesn't bake curvature. If you're referring to 3DO's curvature map, it's potentially due to smoothing errors in your mesh. It should generally create a good quality map. If it doesn't, bake a curvature map from your low-poly mesh without normals loaded, then combine that with your normal map's curvature converted via NDO. :)

• NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Regarding input maps: The ones 3DO bakes are found in your project's \bakes\ folder.
    Oh. Well that's handy.

If you want to create a layer for one map, simply create that layer in Photoshop.
    Oh ? Hm. I wasn't sure I could really really mess up with the folder/layers organisation, but after some test, looks like it can handle it well. Noice.

Optimize mesh does this. Long story short, it optimizes the mesh for real-time rendering. ;)
    Oh. Ok then. :blush: ( A little popup would be nice here. You have a lot of those here and there, to explain things, they're very useful. <3 )

It's possible to work with NDO and DDO simultaneously, but definitely not recommended unless you understand how both tools work intuitively and understand the shortcomings of having them both open at the same time. I'd recommend against it. If you need to add normal details to a project, re-process it through NDO first and reimport the normals into DDO. If you need to give depth to layers, add a bump map to your DDO project and adjust the height of the layers in question.
    Oki doki. I'll use them separately since I really have no idea of how your layers/system interact. :neutral:

NDO doesn't bake curvature. If you're referring to 3DO's curvature map, it's potentially due to smoothing errors in your mesh. It should generally create a good quality map. If it doesn't, bake a curvature map from your low-poly mesh without normals loaded, then combine that with your normal map's curvature converted via NDO. :)
    I was talking of 3Do baking, and nDo Converter, sorry. 
    I tried again with the simplest of mesh. Still doesn't work ...

Attached the mesh and normal I used, if you'd like to investigate.
    But eh, not much a problem, I'll just have to bake in xN, not a big deal. :blush:

Thank you for the quick answers, and for the promotion, I'll try to convince a friend or two to get it as well.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I tried loading your mesh into Max and got a warning about your normals being börked. I added Edit Poly, then smoothed the mesh. This is the result after reimporting it into 3DO and baking curvature:

You'll want to play with your mesh normals to ensure they're all set properly before exporting to DDO. If you're using Max, I can show you the general settings I work with that produce a consistent result. :)

• NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Using Maya, unfortunately. :(
    Don't really know what I'm doing wrong. I selected all edges, smoothed them, and it's usually enough. Tried a billion different things but I can't get it to work. Even downloaded the student version of Max and tried to apply the modifier, nope.

Could you please send me your fixed mesh , so that I can test the baking here, and see what your vertex normals look like on Maya ?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Sure. I've attached it to the post.
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Alright, so, I think my laptop or installation actually has a problem. 

Tried to bake with your model, same thing happen. Went deeper, baked a plane : 

I don't think it has to do with my normal, something is actually going wrong when I bake. I'll try to re-install everything this evening. Will tell you the result.

I've attached the model I used to bake. But it's literally a plane, so I don't think that's the problem here. And every other baker I have ( xN, Handplane. ) doesn't encounter any issues.

I'll tell you if the re-installation has any effect.
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Are you using an AMD card? If you are, ensure you're using Suite 2.3+ before trying to bake.
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Are you using an AMD card? If you are, ensure you're using Suite 2.3+ before trying to bake.
    Nope, 3 months old laptop, Nvidia card : 

But I bought and download it 2 days ago, so I think I'm on the last version.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Looks like you're on a laptop. Make sure your Nvidia control panel is set to always use your GPU instead of the integrated CPU video.
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Tried nearly everything, but nope. ^^'

Reinstalled Quixel, same result. Reinstalled my drivers, same.
    I already was on high perf settings settings, so I monitored the GPU, and it is running 3Do.

Don't really know where to look for a problem anymore, but I giving up. I'll just bake my map like I always did, it's fine. Thanks for trying to help. And thanks for the software, it's great nonetheless. \o/