Home Technical Talk

Zbrush to Substance - how to prep for bake by mesh name

NeonGold
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
NeonGold polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys, 

Having some trouble here understanding the process of preparing my meshes for baking in Substance Painter. My understanding of the process is a little foggy as it is, so I apologize in advance if my explanation doesn't make much sense. 

I have a high poly asset that is comprised of multiple subtools (each a single polygroup) which I've named "Lenses_High", "Straps_High", ect. I also have a low poly version with the same subtools named accordingly ("Lenses_Low", Straps_Low", ect). I've done this because if I bake it all as one piece I get a ton of artifacts, and was hoping to use Substance's 'bake by mesh name' feature to circumvent that. The issue is, however, when importing the low-poly object into Substance it creates a texture set for each Subtool (or maybe polygroup since it would have the same result?) and even if I try to bake into one of those most of the maps just come out black. 

Despite having found a couple good tutorials on youtube and some threads here that covers this topic, I can't seem to replicate the results. I'm guessing my lack of a firm understanding of the process means I'm just missing something.

In short, my goals are to:

A. Have everything be a single texture set in Substance
and
B. Be able to bake by mesh name so I can have a nice clean bake. 

Thanks in advance! 

***Edit:
I've pulled all my hair out doing some testing, and it seems even if I export to blender or 3DS max, make sure all of the materials are the same on both the high and low (and therefore all of the objects are sharing the same uv space on the low poly), export grouped or ungrouped, FBX or OBJ, I still get a black normal map. And yet if I 'bake all' without applying the 'bake by mesh name' it works (ignoring the artifacts, of course).  i'm a totally at a loss now. Haha

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Well i guess ZBrush exports polygroups as materials.
    i have done it in modo and it works fine, it just needa a bit of reorganization in modo.
    Your LP's should have the same material applied (atleast if they are sharing UV Space if not you should use different materials...ofcourse UDIMs work too). 
    i had an asset that was build in an hirarchy like this:
    -> Pillar_Base_Top_low (Mat: PIllar_Base)
    ------>Pillar_Base_Middle_low (Mat: PIllar_Base)
    ------>Pillar_Base_Bottom_low (Mat: PIllar_Base)
    ------>Pillar_Base_Column_Top_low (Mat: Column_Base)
    --------------->Pillar_Base_Column_Middle_low (Mat: Column_Base)
    --------------->Pillar_Base_Column_Bottom_low (Mat: Column_Base)

The Structure has to be the same for the highs. Yet i don't think you have to apply the same mat to the highs (otherwise ID Maps could not be baked) or bother with their UVs (if i understood you correctly).
    Maybe it's a really silly error but iam not sure Substance is case sensitive or not but the standard mesh naming convention is _low not _Low.