Home Technical Talk

Normal map artifact when baking.

vertex
Hi Guys,

I sculpted a Head in Zbrush and then retopologized it in Maya.
I baked my normal map but I have some weird artifacts and I do not know what could be causing this.
I unlocked my normals and them smooth the normals but this also did not help me. 
My mesh is for example not fully closed, can this cause the issue ? Also I m using my 13million poly Mesh as the high poly which I have from Zbrush, should I first reduce it ? I baked it in Mighty Bake but also try it in Zbrush and have the same issue.

Replies

• motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 12
    Without seeing how you line up your high- and lowpoly-meshes, seeing your UVs and what settings (and in ZBRush which techniques) you are using for baking it's hard to tell. Spontaneously this could be a UV issue. Do you have overlapping UVs at the positions where the artifacts occur? Did you make sure that your topology is clean (no double polys or other weirdnesses)?
    Maybe overlaps from hidden meshes? Have you reopened your highpoly source from your file again and checked that there isn't anything else you might NOT want baked?

The number of polygons in your highpoly mesh is not a problem, either way. You yurely could reduce it but that doesn't cause artifacts. An open mesh in general isn't a problem, either. The problem has to be somewhere else.

Can you please provide more info and/or screenshots?
  • fuzesmarcell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuzesmarcell vertex
    Thanks for the reply looks like I solved it in Zbrush I changed in the normal map settings. I turned off the Tangent option and this way it worked.