Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Garage Ue4 ( WiP Thread )

lucasz
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
lucasz polycounter lvl 7
In this Thread I will post Work in Progress of my Garage Enviroment made with Blender, Ue4, Substance Painter and Substance Designer

Some Lightmaps need more Resolution and also I need more Props

Feel free to share thoughts and advise about this piece to improve.

The Thread will also be updated on my Artstation

http://https//www.artstation.com/artwork/8D3NG

Replies

• GameArtifact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GameArtifact polycounter lvl 7

Hi lucasz,

you could try also a night scene with a few neons, however I put a light on left wall to slightly enlighten the part of scene close to the camera.

• lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Gameartifact, thanks for the Input, already had one but it didnt bake the light properly.
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    That's a start, keep up ;)
  • lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Unlit Wip Shots

Changes Made to : Billboard ( Overall Model ), Door ( Scale ) , Closet ( Scale )
    Props added : Screws, Bolts, Beer Cans, Bottles, Propane Tank, Barrel, Neonlamp, Wall with Window, Cans with Paint

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Nice scene :) The props are looking really solid so far. I would take a second look at the scaling of the scene, the door looks a little chunky. If you're ever in doubt about sizes I find it helps to look up products online and look at the measurements, a character reference always helps too
  • lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Ugh.....forgot to check two sided lighting for the door.....

Will be playing more with Materials and Lighting now

• lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Update - playing with the Lights and the Neonlamp

Set the whole Lighting Setting to Preview for faster results

• lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Overhaul of the Saw Texturing

• lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Pillow made in Marvelous Designer
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Your textures look pretty good, I would just make sure you use reference for everything. Unless you're going for a stylized look, your saw looks a little off to me, take a look at this picture. The end of the blade is longer and tapers more than yours, the handle follows the direction of the blade, and it's designed to be held comfortably. Yours looks less comfortable to hold and looks a little boxy overall. 

It's crazy how it's the little things that make the scene look real or not, but overall the scene is coming together nicely. 
  • lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Your textures look pretty good, I would just make sure you use reference for everything. Unless you're going for a stylized look, your saw looks a little off to me, take a look at this picture. The end of the blade is longer and tapers more than yours, the handle follows the direction of the blade, and it's designed to be held comfortably. Yours looks less comfortable to hold and looks a little boxy overall. 

It's crazy how it's the little things that make the scene look real or not, but overall the scene is coming together nicely. 

Hey Thanks for the Input, I think youre right about the Saw, intentionally tried to do everything as lowpoly as possible, thats why its so blocky - 84 Verts.
  • lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Finally finished the Engine kinda, 17k Verts, I might go back and retopo some parts especially the Cables are fairly high in Count
  • lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
  • lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The repeating texture on the pipes is quite noticeable at the moment. If you add some random rotation to the different pieces it will break it up a bit :)

• lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Doxturtle said:
    The repeating texture on the pipes is quite noticeable at the moment. If you add some random rotation to the different pieces it will break it up a bit :)

I currently create a vertex paint shader with seperated rust and metal textures to break it up, also I made them longer so its not so obvious anymore in general - do you have some Pictures of what you have in mind? Since rotation would break the pipes?
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assuming you made the pipes as seperate modules? If so, you can just rotate some of the duplicates slightly so that the details are not in the same position. 

so you could rotate that piece so the details facing the camera are on the top, so a different part of the pipe is showing. Then you do this for each piece
  • lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Doxturtle said:
    I assuming you made the pipes as seperate modules? If so, you can just rotate some of the duplicates slightly so that the details are not in the same position. 

so you could rotate that piece so the details facing the camera are on the top, so a different part of the pipe is showing. Then you do this for each piece
    Oh ok I thought you meant z-axis , nice approach
  • lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Light needs to be rebaked again but im happy where this is heading lighting level scale 0.5 - quality of indirect lighting 5

Light Exposure Bias is at 1.3  Skylight Intensity at 1

Added a bed sheet and replaced the black plastic underground, made with marvelous designer. Added a Wine Bottle and some Glasses, Also some Plates. Modelled something to hang clothes on and Im going to model some towel or sth. hanging down soon.

Also did some vertex painting material to breakup tiling of  the walls, floor and ceiling.

• Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    One thing I am noticing is the edges on your models are very sharp, making the whole scene look very low poly. Make sure when you're making your high poly models to make sure those bevels arent so tight so it bakes properly onto your low. :smiley:
  • lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Needs a bit more love on the lightmaps now

• lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Needs a bit more love on the lightmaps now