Home Technical Talk

Apex Clothing - Cloth not Applying - Maya Issue

SimonScribbles
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
SimonScribbles polycounter lvl 6
Hi there,

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I recently installed Physx and Apex for maya onto my system, so that we can look into using it as an experiment for clothing for our in game models. However I keep having problems, where I create a test model and a plane to use as a quick cape.

I first create the mesh, assign each piece a different material. I then create some joints and ensure everything is weighted correctly. Afterwards, I select 'Apex' and create 'clothing'. Now in all the tutorials I've watched, this creates the clothing node and when you play it starts to fall. However for me as soon as I hit play, nothing happens. The plane just stays still as the timeline goes along. The node has applied as I have the options available to edit in the attribute editor, as well being able to paint the weighting.

Nothing works or plays though and i'm at a complete loss, as I can't find any other people with this problem online, and I follow all the tutorials I see to painstaking detail, and still no success. If anyone is able to shine some light for me, I would be most grateful.

Replies

• SimonScribbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonScribbles polycounter lvl 6
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have run into a lot of problems with the apex plug-in for Maya. I'm surprised you managed to get it installed and that it kind of works. I managed to get it working with Maya 2015 and an older version of the plug-in but that is a tough combo to recreate. Any time I try to install the latest of both, it crashes, hard. After a few months and no updates or news from either autodesk or Nvidia I gave up on it.

The good news is, if you're using Unreal, 4.16 just came out.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?142071-Unreal-Engine-4-16-Preview

They have included NvCloth which is a replacement for apex. NvCloth is faster to solve and all the tools you need are in the Unreal Editor. So no more goofy plug-ins or freakish stand alone apps. It is new so it might be a little buggy or lacking in features but it is what people will be using from now on. I'm not sure if Apex will still work going forward. I don't think they took it out, but it wouldn't shock me if they removed it at some point.
  • Sean_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean_P polycounter lvl 3

You've probably done this but the only thing I can think of would be the max distance parameter. Paint it to the distance in cm that you want the cloth vert to be able to move.