Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Research Facility - Office Area

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Filipe polycounter lvl 2

Interior environment  

Most of the assets come from "The Corridor" tutorial (worldofleveldesign.com). 
The remaining ones were modeled in Maya and textured in Photoshop and nDo. 
This environment is still WIP and what is shown here was made in 3 days, so still lots of work to do.

I plan to change the trees, plantas, probably the floor material, surrounding buildings. I also want to make a city which would be visible throught the windows, partially hidden by fog. I'll play with the light (4.16 volumetric light, I want to try it), add some particles. The empty space in front of the elevators will be filled with reception desks and some info signs.

This is part of a research facility in a near future (not very futuristic at the moment :) ) building in a semi-decadent atmosphere. I don't want it to be trashed or abandoned, just a bit neglected and in need of maintenance.

Suggestions, comments ?

Thanks.

Replies

• waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    Wow everything in the theme looks awesome so far, i really like the blue lights and floor contrasted with the orange glowing lights on the wall. As far as critique I would say that the red decals (74 and elevator,stairs,exit) are too bright and look like they slightly hover over the wall. try adding the slightest grunge or let some more of the variation of the concrete texture rise a bit more to the surface of the paint. Also try breaking up the room space with more unique items. for example in the first picture you have a trash can on the right side but the benches and doors tell very little of the story right now, maybe add a water bottle or lighting difference to favor one side rather than have the lighting come so straight down like high noon. Any way I really like where this is at and where it is going great job!

Edit: I also just thought of half life where the walls have colored lines on the wall that orient new guests to where they should go, maybe adding a directory would help bring life to this research facility like some one should be there!

Edit Edit: also consider baseboards, varying light intensities even with similar lights, ventilation, and piping.

• Filipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filipe polycounter lvl 2
    waedoe said:
    Wow everything in the theme looks awesome so far, i really like the blue lights and floor contrasted with the orange glowing lights on the wall. As far as critique I would say that the red decals (74 and elevator,stairs,exit) are too bright and look like they slightly hover over the wall. try adding the slightest grunge or let some more of the variation of the concrete texture rise a bit more to the surface of the paint. Also try breaking up the room space with more unique items. for example in the first picture you have a trash can on the right side but the benches and doors tell very little of the story right now, maybe add a water bottle or lighting difference to favor one side rather than have the lighting come so straight down like high noon. Any way I really like where this is at and where it is going great job!

Edit: I also just thought of half life where the walls have colored lines on the wall that orient new guests to where they should go, maybe adding a directory would help bring life to this research facility like some one should be there!

Edit Edit: also consider baseboards, varying light intensities even with similar lights, ventilation, and piping.

Thanks. I absolutely agree with you. Some decals are too bright/saturated, and there's a lot I could add to bring this scene to life and make it believable, tell a story etc. I really like the idea of colored lines on the walls.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    its not too bad, but right now I think your lack of complex/varied shapes is holding it back. everything is a cube/box. It looks like something a designer would snap together on a grid.

A lot of the best environments work with modular pieces/grid snapping, but use interesting and complicated shapes to hide that fact. adding some rounded or curved shapes here and there really helps, that halflife screenshot is a prime example of changing a boring box shaped room to a rounded one, instantly more interesting.