Home Adobe Substance

Help with Normal Blending

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
kaspurr polycounter lvl 6
So this is my first Designer project and I was having a great time up until now. So I am trying to separate the normal information of the nails and the wood grain of this floor texture I am making and I am stuck, basically I would like to mask out certain areas from being affected by the other set of normal information. Does anyone know how I can do this? 

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use the part where you created the shapes for the nail heads, and run that out as a line to your normal blending. Ideally you'll have a mask that fits inside those holes, blend that with a uniform color of 127,127,255 (flat normal color), and layer that on top of the normal map from the wood.
  • kaspurr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for replying so fast that did the trick exactly, what's your opinion on the texture? I feel like it needs more flag in the grain but I was having a hard time with it. Thanks again! 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks great pulled back! I think it could do with either a bit of tightening up for the planks shape or adding a bit more dirt/grit between them. The short ends of planks would realistically be cut flat and not have much of a visible bevel, but sometimes it's better to stylize things for game art, your call there.

This isn't a huge nitpick, but it's always nice to see textures that don't look "overlaid", where the wood grain pattern carries across planks. I'm still a novice in many ways in Designer, so I don't know the best way to break up the pattern per plank.

Side note, I wasn't sure what you meant by flag so i did a search and found this great resource. I still don't know what you mean :) The grain seems ok to me, it could maybe be fattened up a bit. Sometimes for thin black line types of patterns, I blur it a little, blur it again a little if it needs it, then blend that back into the original. Sometimes it's tricky to get looking right however.
  • kaspurr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah "flag" is what my carpenter dad calls the swirly grain so I will be sending him that reference lol.

And I agree with your point about the overlaid look, I think some more creative masking will solve that. And for the short ends for the sake of readability from a distance I might leave it but I am sure I could just isolate and adjust the bevel if it begins to keep me up at night, I am just using this for a floor. So many of the things I wanted to work on can be fixed with normal masking so thank you very much!