Home Career & Education

BFA vs. Certificate

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
alec2002 polycounter lvl 8

Hi everyone, I've got a question regarding degrees for artists in the game and film industries.

I recently turned 19 and am a freshman at the Savannah College of Art and Design. I've been accepted into Gnomon's two-year certificate program, and I'm going to be attending this Fall. I like SCAD a lot, and I've learned a lot in my time here. However, California is practically the home of the entertainment industry, and I'm on the opposite side of the country. Being at Gnomon will put me smack-dab in the middle of the industry, and I'll be studying under instructors with amazing art and track records (Jared Krichevsky, Maddie Scott Spencer, Charles Hu, Pascal Blanché, etc.). Oh, and I'll finally be able to attend ZBrush Summit! :smile:

I've chosen the Modeling and Texturing track because I want to be a Character/Creature Modeler in the game and/or film industries. My only concern is that I won't have a degree after completing the two-year track. I know Gnomon has a BFA program now, but the curriculum isn't as focused on modeling and texturing as I'd like.

I understand that a BFA isn't a requirement in the entertainment industry, especially for an artistic position, but I can't help but wonder if I'll be held back by my lack of a degree. If you've got any advice or insight, I'd love to hear it.

Also, if you’ve got the time to check out my portfolio, I’d really appreciate it! The link to my ArtStation is below. Do you think two years is enough for me to achieve a level of skill good enough to get a job as a Character/Creature Modeler for film and/or AAA games?

Replies

• miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    You list two connected concerns, a diploma and skill level, one has nothing to do with the other, the latter will land you a job faster then the other.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @miguelnarayan They're not mutually exclusive.  I think a more precise thing to say is that portfolios shine harder and brighter than any degree.

I will say, by volume, I've seen more degrees than not.  Community College isn't that hard to graduate from in the states.  Usually.
  • alec2002
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @miguelnarayan @Brian "Panda" Choi Will a studio look at me the same way as someone with a degree if I have a certificate at Gnomon and one year of success at SCAD? I know community college is an option, but it's a pretty big hurdle to jump over before getting an education in modeling and texturing (aside from self-teaching while I'm not working on homework or studying). I'm doing the two-year certificate program at Gnomon because of this. It's specialized, and there's no more general education hoops for me to jump through.
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    @alec2002 I don't know for 3D modeling, but I suppose it's the same, I know John Park didn't finish Art Center for financial reasons, that didn't stop him to be a leading concept artist in the industry, fightpunch didn't have a formal education like that other than self-teaching gnomon DVD's and he's at Riot, Eduardo Pena has a graphic design degree, so on so forth
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    A foreigner's perspective here. 

For me personally a degree (BFA) holds bit more of an importance than just an education because of VISA issues. In terms of how the company hires an individual is absolutely about portfolio, but as a foreigner (and I work in immigration office atm as a civil service agent) holding a degree might actually make a difference of whether one is going to get the work visa or not.. 

So yep, as a Korean trying to work in NA environment I'm going for degree, but if you hold god blessed American passport I'd feel pretty confident about attending certificate course. If I was Canadian or American I'd probably attend FZD or those programs anyway. 
  • alec2002
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doodlok Hey, thanks for your input! VISA issues is another concern I have because I may be interested in working outside of the US at some point in my career. I would LOVE to work for a studio like CDPR. I'm not sure how Poland views the lack of a degree though.
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @alec2002
    Well I'm in Korean immigration office so not sure how it would generally work, but in most cases (at least here) if one is holding degree it makes it easier on both employer and employee's side in terms of issuing visa, because it gives somewhat bureaucratically documented qualification for officers.

But then if you have solid resume or work experience from US and eventually move to other country, this shouldn't be much of an issue. (Im coming straight from immigration office perspective, not the studio or company) 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Korea go hard.

Am Korean.

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    A BA just proves that you're academically qualified. Not that you're actually any good.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    100% self taught here, has never really held me and and I have worked at a bunch of AAA studios. Never once was a degree brought up, and when people found out I was self taught they usually think that shows a good self motivation/drive.

The lack of post secondary has never really been an issue for me, but I have never really attempted to get a job abroad. Now that I have over 10 years experience it shouldn't be an issue, but yea, when you are new with not much experience having a degree is really gonna help with getting a work visa for working abroad.

your portfolio will get you in the door for interviews, your personality will get you the job. 
  • alec2002
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PixelMasher Thanks for the feedback, PixelMasher. That's really good to hear. I definitely want to work in the US for at least the first few years. If you don't mind me asking, how old were you when you landed your first job, and how much did you have to learn in the first few months about the pipeline? I know pipelines differ quite a bit between studios, but I'm curious as to how you adapted to the professional environment after self-teaching.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I had just turned 20 when i got my first game industry job, was working in another 3d related field for a year or 2 before that. started learning 3d in highschool and just worked on my portfolio until I was getting interviews.

in terms of pipeline, I had to learn maya (I only knew 3ds max when i got the job) and some other internal tools. Most pipelines are not usually too different for producing art you would be making at home anyways, just usually some random tools or plugins, in which case someone on my team would just walk me through using it once or twice and it was second nature after a week or two. 

I think the biggest thing people think is that there are gonna be a ton of new things to learn, which is kinda true, but it tends to be drip fed to you over several weeks/months.