Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critique Requested - Help CG kick her portfolio into shape

null
I feel like there's something missing from my portfolio (or maybe my style in general?) that's making me less appealing to potential employers.

Here's my portfolio, if anyone would be so kind as to give me feedback on that:
http://pureimaginationink.wixsite.com/cgern
Originally I wanted to aim for a character designer position, but very recently widened my scope to storyboarding as well (hence there not being any examples of that).  Any advice for what to show for a storyboarding portfolio? How to format it?

Any advice or feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    at the moment none of your images are loading for me.

also, you have 3 more or less identical threads for this, kind of confusing :/
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've deleted the other two. If you see a double post or thread again (it happens), just click 'flag' and 'report', and write a little message.
  • CGernhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGernhart null
    I've deleted the other two. If you see a double post or thread again (it happens), just click 'flag' and 'report', and write a little message.

lotet said:
    at the moment none of your images are loading for me.

also, you have 3 more or less identical threads for this, kind of confusing :/
    Oh my gosh, I'm sorry! I'd posted one the night before this, and it never showed up for me. Not sure how there got to be three. Sorry!
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    For a storyboard artist you want to show excellent composition and flow. IMO, If you have collaborated with animators, I would like to see storyboards side by side with the finished scene to show how your compositions contributed to the project. I understand that you might not have a project like that to show. If not, then the best place to start is by working on your composition. Thumbnails, rough sketches, etc. 

My overall impression of your portfolio: You clearly have been drawing for awhile, but unfortunately for those of us who started drawing young, we have some bad habits to break. Many of the drawings appear stiff, which is partly rendering, and partly the form and gesture of the underlying drawing.

If you agree, and would like to improve in those areas, I would recommend that you break up your schedule into two main different blocks: The largest block for "unfinished" loose work, like gestures, thumbnail comps, anatomy studies (the fundamentals). Don't try to finish any rendering, just keep it loose while you practice communicating those principles. The other smaller block is for finish rendering work that you are interested in. That's the "fun" part, when you let ideas come out, and you more or less play. (There's good learning in play!), but you'll find that the fundamentals will start to nag at you in your fun work, and that larger block of good practice will push you to go much farther.

I know this may be hard to hear, but there's a long road ahead of you (and it continues forever for all of us that chose this field). Good luck!