Home Technical Talk

Maya custom component colours?

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
musashidan high dynamic range
I'm a long-time Max user who dabbles in Maya now and again and I've always disliked the default green edges/purple verts. I've changed the verts/edges faces in windows>prefs/colours in the active tab, and assumed that the inactive tab would allow me to change the purple/green but, no luck.Also, I thought the wireframe colour in the display dropdown might help but it looks like it's just for wireframe and not edged faces as well.

Any Maya folk know where I can(or if I can) do this. No joy in the docs or on google.

Cheers.

Replies

• CoH
    Offline / Send Message
    CoH null
    The edged faces colour can be changed in the inactive tab under Objects > Polygon surfaces.

• throttlekitty
    You're probably looking for [Active]General>Lead Color (the last selected object) and everything else under the [Active]Objects group (selected but not last).

That purple polygon vertex color is [Active]General>Highlight Components, but edges and faces are under Objects>Polygon surfaces like CoH says.

For the wireframe on shaded display color for inactive/unselected polygons, [Inactive]Objects>Polygons Surfaces. And for completeness, you can override this color by adding objects to a layer and set a color in the layer properties.

edit: I've been tinkering with my hotkeys and menus so it's fresh on my mind, here's the set I use for viewport controls with some custom toggles if you want it.

Also, what colors would you pick? I've never really liked the polygon colors, but they're kind of nice contrasts against most textures and colors we typically use so I've never put much thought into changing them.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Cheers lads, that did the trick. @throttlekitty I like white for edged faces. Blue for verts. Red for all selected components. Just like Max. :)