Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Garden Shed Environment - The Last of Us Inspired

ToffeeApple
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
Hi all

Following my last project Teenager's push-scooter prop I will be now making the environment that this prop sits in. It is an abandoned shed at the bottom of a garden. Inside are props left from a teenage girl's childhood along with some gardening equipment. This is inspired by The Last of Us although not quite 'end of world' more abandoned for 10 to 20 years. But I want to go with the overgrown ivy and a serene, fresh, new day look similar to within parts of the Last of Us.

Here is some concept art I've made to get the scene started:

I'm not totally happy with the lighting for the exterior so may re-visit it at some point.

The idea is that the boards on the roof have become unstuck causing this gap.

All C&C is welcome :)

Replies

• ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all

So I've started out making the shed. I've changed the proportions so that the player can move around the interior a bit more.

I also decided to go with a corrugated roof as it makes more sense for the damage. I'm currently using Substance Designer to create textures. There is 1 Wood texture, 2 variants of the roof (exterior and interior) and 1 rust texture for specific rust which is vertex painted. Each set to 512 x 512. Lighting is baked.

I will be creating the door and windows next.

• sarahwar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarahwar vertex
    Hey, looking good.

I think for me I'd work on the wood of the shed more for it seems too new looking if you get what I mean. I'd add more slight gaps between the wood and maybe make it look worn by having parts of it bend in areas. It currently feels a bit too neat and tidy. I'd also add a green sort of texture to it like it's resedue from the moss that has seeped into the wood.

I think with the lighting inside it needs to be in more of a cone shape like what you get with a spot light so it spreads the further into the shed it gets, it should fade out more as well I feel and have the inside that smidge darker to create a touch more contrast.

Currently the inside of the model of the shed is giving me a warehouse feel so I'd probably reduce it's length and maybe it's overall size to get that nice cramped feeling. This is something that can be played around with later on though once you have everything in it =}.

Think that's everything I can currently think about =}.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Sarah

Thanks for the feedback - some really great points here. I think I am missing a lot of the dirt and age on the wood like you say. I think what I'm going to is flip the roof so you can see the hole in it as I realise that the lighting is probably confusing due to not seeing where it comes from. Hopefully if I flip this the lighting direction will start to be clearer. 

Yeah I think the confusing part of the scale right now is because I havn't got in any of the asset clutter that sheds have. I can't go any smaller on this sheds scale as otherwise the player won't be able to move about it. I will put in some temporary boxes to blockout what I'm thinking for the next update and will see if that helps to give it the cluttered feel you talked about.