Home Technical Talk

What is your primary texturing application?

ngon master
Online / Send Message
ZacD ngon master

Replies

• JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Photoshop
    I've been learning lately how to do projection painting and texturing in Mudbox. 

But I still find myself coming back to Photoshop. My brain is almost hard wired to just look at a flat UV island.  And my nice brush sets and the ease of using color/level adjustments to edit textures on the fly makes it too hard to move away.
  • Lt_Commander
    Online / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Photoshop
    This is kind of a hard one to answer considering that even when doing the bulk of the lift in Substance or Quixel, I still do thing like bake prep/review, decal placement, and post texture corrections (like color space) in Photoshop. Quixel especially means that you're using both anyway.

Also I'm working on a project where none of these (outside of PS) will work given the low-rez texture size. I do occasionally use Krita for texture painting as well, since the brushes can be a little more flexible then PS.
  • Michael Knubben
    3D-Coat
    @Lt_commander : I used 3DCoat almost exclusively on Strafe, is that low enough? It's actually quite stellar for lowres work!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Substance Designer / Painter
    Substance painter is my main app right now but I still use Photoshop and 3DCoat as well. Photoshop to fix and create masks for Painter, 3DCoat for 'old school' hand painted work.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Photoshop
    Still use photoshop as my main. Though being able to paint on the mesh is super appealing, I just can't give up the control I have in photoshop to use subtance painter, and quixel is a little too clunky for me to adopt it regularly.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I haven't used Photoshop in about 3 years to make a material for anything.  

Designer/Unreal nowadays.
  • Swaggletooth
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    Photoshop
    Photoshop, but that's purely down to the fact that it's what we use at work. Whenever I do stuff outside of work, it's always with Substance Painter or Designer.
  • VickiVampiress
    Offline / Send Message
    VickiVampiress polycounter lvl 3
    I basically started out with Substance. Every time I use it I fall in love with it again, just because of how powerful it is and how well it works for me. I tend to mix it up with Photoshop a lot though.
  • Soily26
    Offline / Send Message
    Soily26 polycounter lvl 6
    Started with Photoshop, then Quixel but now I've moved on the Substance. Although, because I'm so familiar with Photoshop sometimes I find it's quicker and easier to use their tools to get the look I need. 
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I can't imagine trying to be as quick now without Designer for tiling textures
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Other
    mudbox does still a good job for handpainted textures...
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    If I have to paint very complicated masks I do it in photoshop, other then that substance painter 100%
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Figured I should probably mention why I created the post. I saw a comment that claimed Photoshop was still the core texturing app at most studios, I felt like Substance has really taken over that role for most artists (at least personally), but wanted to see if the numbers actually backed that assumption up. Can't really try poll each studio because trade secrets, and can't make it anonymous because there would be duplicates from the same studios. 
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's pretty nuts, this time last year I had so many potential freelance clients say "substance what? we require PSD's with layers...."
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I knew substance was big, but didnt expect it to be this dominant. this makes me feel more comfortable saying its the industry standard,w hich I really didnt think it was.

@Justin Meisse  - If I recall correctly you can export your substance painter files into PSDs now :)
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Photoshop
    I agree with Oglu; combined with Photoshop does a good Job for low res and high resolution.  If I were to add a tool to my arsenal it would be Mari but you can do alot with what 3D packages provide in terms of texturing, even though I know studios like the person to know Substance or Mari; as the traditional ways can be very technical.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Other
    to me this seems too general a poll. your mixing together people who need to hand-paint textures - sometimes on a per-pixel basis - and cover up seams and distortions e.g. on human skin with those who require procedurals, tiles and who might be well served with auto cavity masking and the like to get some quick wear & tear in.

perhaps all your poll results say is that the latter is what the majority requires for their day-to-day work?
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    After talking about it so highly since 2014, I'm glad that it finally became the popular and useful app it was destined to become. Substance Designer/Painter are great. Congrats Allegorithmic!

Back then, I had my doubts when they said they wanted to replace Photoshop, but that totally changed when they introduced Painter. Indeed, well done Allegorithmic!
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Used Photoshop for aeons, moved onto Quixel when dDo came out and now I've moved almost completely to Substance Designer/Painter.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

thomasp said:

Other
    to me this seems too general a poll. your mixing together people who need to hand-paint textures - sometimes on a per-pixel basis - and cover up seams and distortions e.g. on human skin with those who require procedurals, tiles and who might be well served with auto cavity masking and the like to get some quick wear & tear in.

perhaps all your poll results say is that the latter is what the majority requires for their day-to-day work?

Nailed right on the proverbial IMHO.

...and my day too day realistic material generating app suite doesn't seem to rate a mention...curious I must say?!

- Inkscape (displacement/normal, i.e. 'skinning' )

- GIMP (handpainted materials)

• Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    substance designer and painter. photoshop's really fallen away for me since getting good with those. I still use it for the odd task where its best and fastest for something particular or a quick image edit but that's all. Designer gives me a gods eye view of what every pixel is doing, super control and super non destructive. Painter's got far better 3d painting and whilst its brushes are a bit slower, its miles better.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You're right, I should have put Photoshop, GIMP, or other photo editing tools as one category and a second for 2d drawing tools like Inkscape, although that may have cause more confusion and wouldn't likely hit 5%. Gotta draw the line somewhere.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Photoshop
    I use substance painter a lot but Id say on average over the past 3 years Im finding photoshop is still being used a lot
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Other
    3D Coat for hand painted textures.
    Substance Painter for other stuff including more realistic textures.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I love the freedom and flexibility 
  • DRoss3d
    Offline / Send Message
    DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty much use Painter/Designer exclusively now. I used to use photoshop/ndo to insert text into my normal maps, but since designer introduced the text node, I've made the switch.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Photoshop
    A mix of Photoshop/ Substance Designer .   Still Photoshop is pretty much dominant  in my workflow currently. I even started to use  a lot of purely SD approaches in Photoshop with Gradient maps, hi-passing  depth , offsetting  linked smart objects, max/min things, layer comps exporting etc.   plus   a lot  of  help from Filter forge plugin .    

I could say I rather moved back from once being  90% Substance Designer for couple years  back to Photoshop,  after I started to use a lot of hi res photoscanned materials .   

Substance Designer have always been an alien tool for me, done for some alien game industry.  Everything they have done  are  done most weird, super overcomplicated and inconvenient  way  possible, including their node system.    So I have never been happy with it. 
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Photoshop
    I am using Affinity Photo sometimes. It has a few nice tools like more convenient  mesh deform tool  and  also a patch tool that allows to rotate patches .  Macros panel imo a bit more convenient than actions in Photoshop.   Nice frequency separation .    Those things  make  AP a nice tool to make photoscanned materials, especially depth channel,  tillable.  A thing I am struggling with  Substance Designer's  "make it tile"  which is imo messing the nature of the depth channel pretty a bit.       Other than that there is nothing special about it.