Home Adobe Substance

[Substance Designer] Multiple variations and switches?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
PJPayne polycounter lvl 7
hello,

im trying to figure out the best way to go about creating a texture with multiple iterations on it (so one is the base tile let's say, and if you click a button in unreal or what have you, you'll get some leaves on the tile now)? I ask because till now the closest I have been able to get to was having to make switches for each individual map (basecolor, normals, height, roughness, metallic, etc) so if you want a variation you need to click four or more buttons so that it looks right, but I want to only have to click one button? 

Hope i worded that well, thank you! 

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Probably not the best way, but you could specify a colour for each material and use the Multi-Material Blend node, feeding an exposed uniform colour node to the Colour ID input. Then you'd only have the one exposed parameter; but you'd need a key to know what colour enables what material, which isn't very intuitive.

Using stacked material switches would let you at least name the switches, but you'd need one switch for every two materials. Unless there's a way to combine all those switches. I'm not a SD expert so someone here might give you a better answer.
  • PJPayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PJPayne polycounter lvl 7
    Update: thanks to bruce_4 over at Allgerithmic forums (https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,16945.0/topicseen.html), he replied with this, and #2 works perfectly!

"
    You have two choices.

1.  You can find a single point upstream on your graph and place a switch there, but it's probably not setup that way.

2.  Expose one of the switch True/False parameters (does not matter which one lets say the base color) and give it a good name like "LeavesOnOff".  Then on another switch for say the Normal map and click like you are going to expose it, instead of exposing the parameter select the new "LeavesOnOff" parameter name you just setup.  Now that switch will react to the parameter of the first switch you setup.  You can repeat this for all the switches associated with Leaves on off.  This works with all parameters that share a common value, so color settings, or a scale X or scale Y value, etc..."