Home Unreal Engine

Glass material from Substance Painter to UE4?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6

Hey guys. I can't seem to figure out the setup I need to make my glass look like it does from Substance Painter.

In Substance, I exported my Roughness and Opacity maps for the glass since that's all I used to make it. In Unreal, if I set the material to Translucent, the Roughness channel gets greyed out and I have no place to put my roughness map and the glass just becomes completely transparent.

I can't seem to find the proper steps for this anywhere online. Looks great in Substance Painter, but not working right in Unreal.

Replies

• Kyetja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Mobkon, you want to try and play with the lighting mode in your Translucency tab a bit for that! 
    For example the Surface TranslucencyVolume mode will allow you to use roughness and some other parameters. 

You'll be able to get something like this:

Do note that glass from Substance to UE4 is a bit finicky, try and check your materials in UE4 as much as possible!
    Depending on your model you might also consider splitting any glass parts from non-glass parts to get the most out of UE4's materials. 

This short video has a decent explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRQ5z8i_SV8
    Although I would recommend googling a bit more.
    Additionally the UE4 sample projects and assets have some glass in them too, not sure where so you'll have to delve trough em!
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Substance Painter doesn't have a glass shader, only a translucent and masked shader to handle opacity.
    Glass shading requires opacity, but more importantly, refraction.
    You won't get the same look as your glass because of this.
    Make sure you also model your mesh for glass in mind, meaning thickness (not just 2-sided).