Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Feedback / Critique

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Martoon polycounter lvl 2
Hello ,
I would like to get some feedback on my portfolio and see where I could improve and things that should no longer be on my portfolio.
I am specializing more towards being a Materials/Texture artist and an Environment Artist.

http://martinpietras.weebly.com/

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Martin, your stuff looks great!
    - I'd get rid of the brick texture. All your textures look great and show skill, but this one is quite simple.
    - All your stuff looks finished except the one with the boat. The boat doesn't really look textured and its the first thing that my eye is drawn to.
  • Martoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis Thank you for the feedback, I took the items you suggested out.
     Will have to update my reel with the suggestions you proposed as well. 
     :) 
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    First image was pretty good! However after that I quickly lost interest, here's some reasons as to why:
    • Material cylinders are not interesting enough to be in images by themselves, put multiple in a single image
    • Because of this, I have to scroll past 16 material images to get to your next body of completed work, this is not a good presentation.
    • Your other environments are not as strong, or at least that's what I can see. Put up more, larger renders from various angles, immerse us in your environments by showing off interesting pieces.
    • Show off breakdowns of interesting props in your scenes as well
    • The individual props on the bottom are not as good as your other work, I'm guessing they are older. Since you want to specialize in materials it would be best to remove them since the materials are not great.
    I hope this helps!
  • Martoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alemja Thank you for the great feedback! I agree with you that my work is less strong towards the bottom.
    I will take your advice and edit the materials together, and include more breakdowns and angles of my most recent work. :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The new environment looks really good but the old ones do not hold up at all and will just keep dragging you down. You need to get rid of the old stuff. Weakest denominator. 

Dont use 5 different fonts that looks tasteless. 2 max, and use weightings. The top of the gallery looks messy, what is that hand there for ? What is that tiny image of a beach that cant be clicked ? The spacing also is very uneven. Also decide if you use borders on your images or not. The materials look good aside of the 6 bottom ones. Try condense them in fewer images. Why does your best piece have no zoom lightbox but the materials do ? If you clean that up a bit it should be good. 
  • Martoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shrike That's very honest and good feedback thanks! I know the pieces at the bottom are the weakest, I keep making jumps in quality because I keep learning more and more with every project. I let go of the environments and cleaned up some of the materials shader issues mentioned before. I'm going to work on Font format as you suggested next.