Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

General Feedback for Animation Sequence

CapoeristaKelley
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
CapoeristaKelley polycounter lvl 2
Hello, I'm a student and I'd like to get some general feedback for my sequence please. I'd like all aspects to be critiqued, Modelling, Animation, Simulation, Lighting etc. It was rendered out in Mental Ray.

Thank You.

Here's the Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLsHJYmToM

I already want to put a cloth simulation on the character and there's a deleted scene from the sequence that would've shown it a lot better however it didn't really work due to the camera work, timing as well as the lack of simulation made the scene look too dull and a bit out of place. I want to add more detail to the clothes by baking a high poly model onto a low poly version of the clothes but when testing the bakes it's too blurry up close so I was wondering if people know some good baking techniques they could share. So it's left with what you see now.

Again Thank You For Your Time.

Replies

• AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Interesting shot! It seems a bit abstract so I'm having difficulty parsing exactly what's happening. Since this is the animation forum I can comment on the animation. It's a bit minimal and stiff. If I understood the characters motivation I might be able to give better direction. Right now it seems as though he's transforming?

For the first part his fingers could use some movement. Perhaps pull his arms in to have an anticipation as he flies upwards. In the second part where he turns completely into a silhouette it's a great opportunity to create a strong pose, something dynamic and enticing. For the third part he's looking around with mostly only his head. Don't be afraid to use the whole body in an action.

In general look at reference or act it out, it helps a lot!
  • CapoeristaKelley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapoeristaKelley polycounter lvl 2
    Thank You very much for your feedback, it helped with my evaluation a lot. You were one of the few who actually gave feedback so again thank you.
  • HeXiFy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeXiFy polycounter lvl 5

Anthony pretty much nailed the critique on the head.. You already know about the clothing and how it looks when his arm bends.. The end scene, his whole body is too stiff and nothing is really going on.. At that point, the scenery behind him is becoming the main focus and he's just there.

It's def. a lot to look at during the entirety of the video.. The shadows of his arms are too sharp, maybe blur the edges out a little, the shadow on the middle finger is def. screwing with me lol.. It looks like a third finger, or it makes the finger look super weird.

I would have to say, the lighting is pretty cool.. The whole idea is pretty cool, it's a little weird and makes me question your mental state while making it haha, but it's cool.