Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: DDO to UE4 - getting materials to look as similar as possible

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
BallistikBiskit polycounter lvl 2
Hey all, this is something I've been struggling with for a while now. 

I've been using DDO for about two years, I think it's great, however I can never get the exported textures to look that similar to how they do in 3DO. Having read a lot of similar posts on many message boards and not being able to find a solid solution I thought i'd ask you guys.

Now, I understand this is partly because of the different rendering engines, and yes, i have tried the 'UE4' Lighting settings. However, I don't think this can account for the either super glossy or extremely dull result in UE4. I've tried a bunch of different export presets, checking and unchecking sRgb on all of them. 

I wish to use the metalness/roughness workflow, so i suppose what i'm asking is what settings work for you guys? and did you have to do anything post export? I'd really like to figure out an export setup where i can just plug the maps into the material and be done. Or is that unobtainable? 

I'm a student so I don't have a wealth of experience in this area.
Thanks

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Suite 2.3, which just hit today, supports GGX shading in 3DO, which is what UE4 uses. However, it's not 100% - that's going to depend on the lights you use in UE4, the post processing you use, etc.

Could you show some images of this problem and your texture compression + material setups? Be aware that textures can require additional work to look their best. My material setups often take advantage of AO maps blended directly into the albedo controlled by a parameter as a starting point to adjust the visuals until I'm happy with them, as an example.