Home Technical Talk

Assets in UE from DDo vs Substance Painter

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
Hey guys!

I am wondering why assets with textures/ shaders created in Substance Painter look way better in UE than assets with textures/ shaders created in DDo. My DDo assets look pretty nice in 3Do, but imported in UE they look flat, colours and shaders are off and need adjusting. On the other hand I can directly import models into UE that come from Substance Painter and they do look good. Even better than in Painter´s viewport. 
Still, the asset looks best in 3Do.

Can you enlighten me on this topic please?

Replies

• frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    Make sure your textures are imported properly, e.g linear roughness.

Perhaps the hdri/lighting setup you're using in SP matches your UE4 project more closely too.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It's definitely your import settings, at least partially. If your linear textures (R, AO, M) aren't set to sRGB off and compressed correctly, they're going to look a bit odd. Unfortunately Unreal isn't capable of discerning between what is linear and what isn't beyond normal maps, which it automatically imports correctly. You'll still need to do a bit of manual adjustment to compress them properly before they're ready for use.

Also, 3DO uses post-processes that UE4 doesn't always have on by default. Shadowing is definitely more pronounced in 3DO than in UE4 unless you're working with DFAO or another type of SSAO solution.

You'll also want to look into your material setup, too. Could I see what your project looks like, including the material you're working with?