Home Career & Education

I am a recent game art grad in desperate need of some career advice

Hello everyone,
I am new to polycount, so I figured I would ask for some help. I am a recent graduate of Full Sail University and have my A.S. in Game Art. I am working towards my B.S. in Game Art. I have been unemployed for a long time since graduation. I can't stand the thought of just giving up on trying to work in the game industry and just accepting some dead end job. I have tried applying for entry level jobs like QA testing, Customer service, Environment Art, etc. I just feel like I'm not good enough, at least not yet, to be any sort of 3D artist. I am trying to push through into QA, but I have had no luck. I have gotten to the point where I am beginning to resent  3D modeling, art school, and myself. I really need some advice. Pursuing my degree and career in games has cost me several apartments and jobs, I absolutely hate having to depend on people for my own needs. I just want to know what I need to do to get my foot into the door. I hate feeling completely helpless like I'm trying to get into a building(game industry) with no doors or windows. 

Here's a link to my Portfolio. I have a lot of work that I have taken down and I want to put some more up. I just need some advice on my work. 

http://www.artstation.com/search?q=Austin%20France&sorting=recent

Replies

• Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Austin,  

I think a lot of people fresh out of college deal with the struggle you're dealing with.  I think the biggest thing I can recommend is to focus on what you really want to be working on.  If you want to do 3D Environment/Prop art, you shouldn't be spending your time applying to QA jobs.  Focus on the things you want to make and build your portfolio around it.  

Truthfully your work might not be up to snuff for the places you're applying.  Look at the places you've applied to and then look at your artstation, could you see your work in their game?

The best thing I would say is that if you're worrying about struggling financially you should work a job while attending working on your portfolio.  It will be rough, especially if you're working towards getting your Bachelors but it seems like the best thing you can do for your situation.  

But when it comes to "getting your foot in the door".  It's all about your portfolio man.  Up your art game and find a community (places like polycount) to get critiques on your work.  

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.  But good luck on your art journey and hope you're able to get where you want!
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Hey man, I dont have any degrees on the subject but I notice some things are off with your work, its just my advice if you want it, that will kind of make things a little bit better.

For an enviromental artist I dont see any color variation or dirt in your models, the contrast is quite big on some dirt you place, but overall your models have 1solid color, especially your props. Also try to present your models a little bit better, dont let them hang in the air, make a turntable with some variety of ground as well, they really give a better feeling to the model.