Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Pallegina from Pillars of Eternity + face study

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
OtterBlotter polycounter lvl 2
Hello there! 

After posting my first attempt at properly sculpting a human being on here and receiving a decent amount of constructive critique concerning the anatomy of my character's body and face I've decided to take a break and study on that some more. When I was done with that and had done a couple of (very unfortunate) training faces, I've decided to give another Pillars of Eternity character a go. I'd like to share my progress so far with you guys!

So, that's what I've been using for reference: Pallegina's portrait from the game and some shots of Ajuma Nasenyana to try and get the general sense of the face. 

So, I went through quite some iterations, wondering if I even should be doing this or if I should just burn my tablet and prevent the release of further abominations offending anatomy, sculpting and the entirety of the human race unto the world.

Nevertheless, I've ignored these notions and persisted until I arrived at a point where I feel like I can show the results of my labours to you good people of Polycount and once again ask for your critiques and advice:

I didn't go into applying any details yet since I feel like maybe I still can't distance myself properly and look at my work critically enough. Front view feels off to me somehow but I can't put my finger to it and what I have obviously doesn't look anything like the model's (Ajuma's) face but maybe it's alright since the sculpt was more about the game character anyway (whose nose is different from what I've got,  as I see now)

Anyway, if anyone stuck with me to the end - thank you!

I would be very grateful and happy to receive any critique, advice or comments of course :)  

Replies

• OtterBlotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtterBlotter polycounter lvl 2
    I've decided it is time to post an update, especially considering that I have questions I'd like to ask.

So this is my progress with the model so far: I am more or less satisfied with the facial features and some skin detail I've applied to the model and thus I've decided to move on to creating a low poly. 

My goal is to learn the proper edge flow and, potentially, to be able to create a game-ready asset so I have done this one entirely by hand. I am not entirely sure if the retopologized model I currently have will be able to accommodate for proper animations and I also wondered if this funky looking ear is alright or not?

So yeah, I would really appreciate any possible feedback and advice!

P.S. Thanks for checking this out :smiley: