Home General Discussion

New Game Engine Xenko by Silicon Studio

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
Xenko is an open-source C# game engine developed by Silicon Studio. It is free for personal use and small indie (<200k)
http://xenko.com/features/

Replies

• Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    I gave this engine a spin when it was announced - it's got some neat features and is completely open source, but the overall quality of the rendering engine and art asset pipeline is... rough around the edges.

I ran into some weird crashes when importing otherwise standard static mesh FBX files, and the material and texture assignment pipeline takes some getting used to. This next one is either awesome or weird depending on your outlook, you can change the lighting model (phong, blinn-phong, GGX) for each material as a pulldown in the editor.

It's a neat engine I'm keeping my eye on, but as an artist, I don't see any specific reason to use it over Unreal or Unity.

Is anybody actually using it?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah i'm curious if anyone is using it and what the specific advantages are over unity/unreal
    I'm seeing new engines that seem to do most of what unity/unreal can, but nothing on top of that so i've seen no reason to try them
  • rayle1112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rayle1112 polycounter lvl 6
    As an artist, I'm more interested in their rendering engine Mizuchi: http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/middleware/mizuchi/en/ From what I understand, It is a real-time rendering engine like Marmoset Toolbag, and you can intergrate it into any game engine such as Unreal/Unity.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    Looking at the git log history it seems there is only one engine developer involved. The others are doing tools and UI and stuff.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

My POV there doesn't seem to be any notable adoption rate and/or measurable traction in terms of genuine cross platform fully fleshed content made with this middleware suite going on, since it's beta release circa: 2014...? Also not much of a community too speak of and from what I hear just one dev working full time on it.

But those issues aside for the moment, a very nice addition to the OSS universe which for me as a rabid open-source adherent always good to see. Especially in this current climate of proprietary 'robber baron'  Vendor concocted sub-fee locked client end servitude across the board, of late hitting just about every sector of the CG industry, in the hip pocket... :/  

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    rayle1112 said:
    As an artist, I'm more interested in their rendering engine Mizuchi: http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/middleware/mizuchi/en/ From what I understand, It is a real-time rendering engine like Marmoset Toolbag, and you can intergrate it into any game engine such as Unreal/Unity.
    The only non standard aspect of their rendering is yebis, which isn't theirs and can be licensed itself
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Chimp said:
    rayle1112 said:
    The only non standard aspect of their rendering is yebis, which isn't theirs and can be licensed itself
    What do you mean ? Yebis is made by Silicon Studio too.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    nvm, was tired and its hard to tell what this even is.

in any case, its an untested engine and basically looks like a remake of unity but with potentially but not definitely yebis post. but without the 25 platforms. i dont even see ps4/xbox1 listed and as such, why wouldnt i just license or get better post for unity.