Home Technical Talk

Anyway to Save and Reuse my Rig?

gene098
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gene098 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

So i finished a rigging a model in Maya and was wondering if in the future I wanted to use the same rig, how can I do so on different models?

I mainly model in Zbrush and was thinking to export to zbrush model the existing mesh and bring it back and while retaining rig but it dissapears...

Is there anyway to save and reuse the rig?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There sure is! Referencing is the way to go for this in Maya. Start your research from this page.
  • gene098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There sure is! Referencing is the way to go for this in Maya. Start your research from this page.
    It talks about
    " a technical director creates a rigged character used for all the shots; that master rig is then used for various animations. Any issues with the rigged character can be fixed once rather than re-importing the model into many different scenes. "

How does this work when Im trying to use the rig on a completely diff char model?
    Because the moment my model leaves maya so i can sculpt the new char, the rig is gone
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Just export the geometry into zbrush. Then reimport your new mesh and transfer the skinweights to the new geometry.
  • gene098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki said:
    Just export the geometry into zbrush. Then reimport your new mesh and transfer the skinweights to the new geometry.
    How can you transfer the skin weights?

Wont that heavily be affected by the resulting new mesh that is created?
  • gene098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay so i guess the plan rn is

1)Import the new model into the scene(Where you still have your previous rig and joints)
    2) delete old mesh and weight  and only leave the bones to be in the same location>Import new model> and adjust bone locations slightly>Then Geodesic voxel weighting use to skin
    OR

3) if you want to transfer the skin weights...

refer to
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38RNq_8Fvw4

Then delete the model after transferring weighting>And reskin the new mesh with the leftover joints from previous mesh>Done

Hows that?