Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Koivis Dodge Viper project

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Koivi vertex
So I've been working for a long time on a specific dodge viper project and I would like to render an animation but I am limited to 2 powerful computers and being a RenderMan user I've come to the conclusion that relying on CPU rendering engine will slow me down. As an independent, learner It is also very hard to get a GPU render engine working on 'Maya 2016 extension 2 for free.' With all this in mind, I decided to move to UE4. I've already seen a couple of companies move to UE4 such as 'The Mill' or 'Rotor Studios' and I have a couple of friends to help direct me in UE4. Here is a small vlog post about it.

Replies

• Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex
    Some images showing the WIP of my dodge Viper project. I used Renderman to render these images. Render time was originally 20 minutes for a noisy render. I'm not sure if you can see some black noise on the reflection of the glass, For some reason, the render times started getting longer and longer as I was working more and more on the shaders and textures. Or I just lost track of my settings for RenderMan. Anyway moving to Unreal 4 should be fun.

• Koivi
  • Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex
    I did a custom mel script to rig the wheels on my vehicle. Finding the algorithm was easy, the struggle was applying the mathematical formula to mel script and then get it working on all 3 X,Y,Z Axis. I may do a vlog going into detail about the problems the other youtube tutorials gave. But here is a demo of what my rig is able to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM0naB7L3J0
  • Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex
    I plan to have my vehicle drifting around a shipping container location. Here I modelled a 20-foot container. I need to detail the front more.

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    ahhh man im excited ive always wanted to create a viper i can not wait to see the final animation the model looks really good i would keep the Sidewinder rims but other than that it looks epic keep it up man!
  • Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex
    For scene scale, I just adjusted the grid size. No changes in the preferences cause from past experience changing it to meters or so it gets funny.
    Grey = 10cm
    White = 1M

• Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex
    Cglewis said:
    ahhh man im excited ive always wanted to create a viper i can not wait to see the final animation the model looks really good i would keep the Sidewinder rims but other than that it looks epic keep it up man!
    Thanks, Lewis! It's gonna be awhile but I am passionate about this project. I'm not going to post much Because there is a lot I'd like to keep private in this project.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Looking forward to seeing more! Love your work btw.
  • Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex
    Cheathem said:
    Looking forward to seeing more! Love your work btw.
    Thankyou Cheathem! <3
  • Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex
    Spent the day Cleaning up the outliner and doing basic Planar/Automatic Unwraps for the sake of UE4, I still have all this shit to clean up...
    Anyway, the second picture shows what's done...

I think most of the exterior pieces are done It's just the interior now.

• Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex

I recently modelled 5 assets to add to my scene. Personally, I don't want to use subdivision for this project. I Just think it would add an unnecessary amount of polygons to the scene so to soften some edges and corners I just relied on beveling and toying with the normals.

I know I need to break up the concrete barricade a bit more. I'll probably do some simple trick using zbrush.

• Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex
    Been taking the struggle bus importing my car into unreal and it was only till there were a few generous friends who helped me get it working properly. The Biggest issue I came across was the lighting of the mesh. It looks very strange and I could tell from fragments of past experience that it was not supposed to look like this.

I even had the audacity to bake light on the car. lol!

To solve this issue I told UE not to import the textures and so far It looks like its working fine but thats only for some of the exterior pieces. I'll see how the rest goes later.

I noticed there is antialiasing on the specular highlights and I think it's actually because of my normals. I will see with further testing.

Also the glass I personally find funny. I'm still trying to figure out how to get reflections on the glass. If anyone has some documentation or tutorial on the glass I'd be more than grateful.

• Koivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koivi vertex
    I finally got the reflection of my glass to work yay!!! however, there is something strange with the refraction. I'm not sure if this is an Unreal thing or if there is a way to fix it.