Home Career & Education

What does your planning workflow look like?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
So everyone says to plan before working on your project. Whether that means, finding reference footage, making a road-map, setting milestones, etc. I'm always eager to adapt my workflow, more specifically, the planning part since it can be easily overlooked and rushed.

So what does your planning workflow like. Whether you're an animator, modeller, texture artist,, share your workflow!

Replies

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    It depends on the situation, the time available and what you have to do. 

generally for me: 
    concept -> references -> blockout -> primary shapes -> secondary shapes -> detailes -> retop -> (alternatively fix HP) -> make sure all names are correct -> bake -> texture -> pose -> inEngine/Marmoset -> make pretty pictures
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I usually go with for the initial planning

1. Figure out a Theme/Setting
    2. Figure out Main Composition using blockouts and reference for nice angles
    3. Figure out Main Colors I want to use in the scene
    4. Create a list of assets that I probably will need in the order of Big -> Small + Importance.
    This is the kind of thinking I do: "If I get sick of the project half-way through, what assets can I skip and still make it presentable?" This means I need to at least make sure I have the prioritized assets done on the list. For environment work it usually means you need the bigger ones in first.