Home Technical Talk

Looking for resources - learning how environments affect local colors in 2D contexts?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Werewoof polycounter lvl 3
Hi there!

This is indeed my first post, and like many a new member, I am paranoid I am still posting this in the wrong place. However, I have a feeling this isn't too far off, if it's not the correct place.

Anyway, something's been bothering me for a while, as a self-taught artist on a haphazard journey of prolonged learning, self-doubt, and exploration. I often wonder how the environment around local colors factors into the way they appear, and from a 2D standpoint, how one would anticipate the end results by taking into account all of the variables.

I'd like bring up Colour Constructor by Muzzoid. It's a brilliant tool, both in design and in results. 

That is what I'm trying to achieve, without using tools, relying only on developed intuition (which I don't have yet). The raw math used to achieve the results is impressive but daunting, and not for use on the fly. Instead, I wonder if there are any intuitive shortcuts that artists use to achieve comparable results on the fly, or if the process just isn't so simple.

I understand that, for example, a red object (depending on what material it's made from, what texture it has, etc.) will take on a more "blue-d" hue if influenced by the night sky, but predicting what that would be stumps me. My guess is that it would tend towards an objectively purplish/pinkish hue, whilst appearing red in the context, but I want to develop some kind of system built on intuition that leaves no doubt, or just less doubt.

All that said, are there any good resources/exercises/readings/pieces of advice you guys could recommend? I've got a lot I want to learn in art, but right now, I think this one is the most pressing. 

Sláinte mhaith,

-Jon

Replies