Home Unity

Creating your custom Character for Unity

apelleti2
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
apelleti2 polycounter lvl 4
I guys, I am working on a project that is running into a few snags.  Hopefully some of you can help me out with your wisdom that you have acquired over the years.

So what am I trying to do?

I have a human character that I have modeled that I want to bring into Unity and apply to our game.  The way the Coders have set it up they need 1st and 3rd person and while doing 1st person they need to remove the head or make that specific part of the character invisible  for the players view (multiplayer game) because the camera sits where the head is... Everyone else will see the full model. The problem we are having seems to be with the seem created on the character around the neck where we split the model up.  This is clearly a Normals issue when it comes to the model.  If I import the fbx into maya I can easily hit average normals and the two parts look seamless.  However when I export that model again it has the same issue as before.  I do not know why I am getting this issue.   Even when working inside of Substance painter for the texturing I do not have any seams visible on the model and it looks fine.  

I have seen how artists set up Characters and they always have the body on one texture map and the face on another map.   I had suggested using UV sets for this and keeping the body welded together however the Coders have told me that you can not work with UV sets inside of Unity to apply multiple shaders to one model.  

In Close I have a model that I made with basically two UV sets the body and the head.  When I exported the model into Unity around the neck there is a very serious normals seam.  Ill be honest Im a bit turned around on this and havent found a way to resolve it.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It's definitely possible, therefore there is no need to look for another tech solution. The problem lies either in the way your model is setup or in your export/import settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twcjth0wh9o&feature=youtu.be

Good luck !

• apelleti2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks,  Thats good to know.  I was worried that I was doing something wrong.  But what specifically is causing the problem then I wonder.  We are exporting out of Maya.  I was told that they tried all the options in the FBX exporter and got the same results.  Does anyone know the specifics of how you have to export/import so that seems are not displayed?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I have a human character that I have modeled that I want to bring into Unity and apply to our game."

"I was told that they tried all the options in the FBX exporter and got the same results."

It would be probably best if you tried to find the appropriate settings between Maya and Unity yourself rather than offloading the task to other people involved in the project - especially since they probably don't have the ability to edit the model anyways.

Always assume that something technical will go wrong, because it always does.
  • apelleti2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did the export import work myself instead of the animator and apparently they are just incompetent I will hopefully be able to display some positive results when I get a chance.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well to be fair it's not really the role of an animator to worry about finer technical aspects of modeling :)

But yeah overall when working in a team your best bet is to always assume that something that you feel might go wrong *will* indeed go wrong. The next step is to write down very precise instructions and checklists to make sure that even the least technically minded contributors have no choice but doing things the right way. If not you can be sure that things like carefully edited normals, triangulation and vertex order will go wrong at one point or another.

Good luck !