Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need help on destroyed Temple

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys what's crackin? 

I am doing the Artstation Challenge and I am gassing out a bit. I am struggling with the lighting and don't know how to really push this to the next level. Seems to be a lot of pros doing the comp which is cool, makes me want to step this up.

I've put point lights around on the pillars to see how that goes breaking up the scene, I will make torches for them but then it looks a bit weird having all this snow and burning torches. Another thing that was suggested was putting in some plants to break the scene up, once again it would do the job I think but might look odd with everything frozen.

There is only about 2 weeks left, but I was thinking of just going further with the destruction and tearing down a large chunk of the back wall to let in a lot more light and maybe blizzard effects.

The other issue is I am not great at doing any sort of human things, Might need to come up with something else for in the arches.

Any help would be appreciated. 

The concept I am working from.

Replies

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here is a version without the outer wall which is closer to the concept
  • nizu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nizu polycounter lvl 10
    Hi,
    Some things i notice vs. concept : you could put more rim light on the center piece, also on the 'bell' top part .. light from the sides, rather than glow from the inside, that'd give contrast and volume.
    Also the composition elements in concept :  if not the human (i get it, if what you do is envs)  even just a rubble pile in that place  could balance composition, also the 'bridge' on the floor , bigger and rotated like in concept, it completes  a triangle of  hot spots to look at, and the 2 closeup columns at the edges of frame (also to show some close up detail and texturing ?)       
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    I think this would benefit from some kind of scale reference, sconces on the arches maybe, which could also add some interesting lighting.
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nizu @hmm_rock
    Thanks for the feedback!

I agree I need something to show scale, I am not sure if lights would work as it would conflict with whole old ancient thing. Was thinking maybe a pedestal or alter or something to show how large the room is.

I added more light to the centre piece and took it away from the rest of the scene to bring focus back to the middle.  I moved that dial too. 

• BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Below is the final entry from me, ran out of time to do everything I wanted but learnt a fair chunk about ue4, not sure where to go next now