Home Career & Education

Where do you normally go if you want to learn CGI online?

Testnick
node
Offline / Send Message
Testnick node
Hi. So i want to make movies AND games. Learned the basics of blender on Arrimus 3d's Channel (tutorial 40). Now how to UVW Map and Model simple objects (from reference) by now.

However, I STILL have no idea what to do with all that stuff.
For example when you want to make Movies.. How does that work? Where do i learn this? I heard you normally use high poly models and maya when doing movies.. how to use Houdini and Nuke and so on would be necessary.. but again.. I have no idea how to operate a greenscreen or bluescreen, how to modify pictures etc. I would like to learn from a base and not learn random stuff i have no idea what to do with.

Youre certainly aware that Pluralsight tuts explain mainly functions on examples, same as arrimus, so maybe any tips, suggestions? Free ones.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • heartlessph1l
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heartlessph1l vertex
    I did it organically. starts with the base. Learn to model. Watch a couple tutorials on youtube about maya for example. Then learn about rendering. Check out some youtube videos about renderers and how they work. After that, for more complex scene, check out some houdini/nuke intro videos on youtube again. Read as much as you can in the meantime and you'll end up figuring the whole thing quite fast.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Ok so you make your low poly model, unwrap it, then you go and do some digital sculpting to make it look more realistic(zbrush, mudbox) and paint it(substance painter) then you bake all the high poly details into maps so that they show on the low poly. Keep in mind that you work with a budget on polygons especially for games, so you need to further reduce the polygons after baking and leanr how game engines process information of the models because they might look totally different inside a game engine (smoothing groups, colors etc)
  • Testnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Testnick node
    I tried pluralsight but their tuts are somewhat dull, slow and uninformative.

Currently in Zbrush and trying to somehow make my way through. Their featured videos for basics etc are useful. But logically it does not define your skills in any way.

Still having problems finding solid infos on 3dsmax tutorials.
    I know how to reference and retopo, but then animation and how to apply good effects is another whole world that requires heavy informative tuts