Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Makeshift Double Barrel Shotgun

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ftsmith polycounter lvl 6
I found this concept of a hand made shotgun that I wanted to recreate. I had to make some changes so that everything made sense. I just finished the Hires and started the UV process. Like always any feedback is welcomed.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Are you trying to do this Fallout 4 style?  Cuz that's fromt he Fallout 4 Art book
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I was going to do photorealistic. I had no idea it was from Fallout.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your edges on the highpoly's hard surface objects are too sharp.  You should soften them up so they bake better normal maps.

Are you going to make the wrap separately on the stock/butt?
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I just noticed how sharp my edges were so I have to go back and change them. 

Yes Im planning on having the tape/wrap a separate object.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dis gon be dope.
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
    Woo! Fallout fanart'ers unite! 
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on the model. Finished with majority of the texturing, I just need to go back and add some details and fix a couple of mistakes (like the tape). Let me know if there's anything I can go back and improve on.

(from top to bottom)
    Side
    Bottom

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Materials don't seem to have a difference between each other. Everything blends to a flat / washed out / bland kind of look.

What are you using for texturing, Substance Painter 2, Substance Desgner 5-6, Quixel Suite or just Photoshop?

Also, it would be interesting to see the wires of your low poly. Right now I get mixed feelings if this is a low poly or a high poly. Somehow this doesn't look like it's baked from HP to LP either. I might be wrong, but it doesn't look like it's has a baked normal map. Especially because you said "I just finished the Hires and started the UV process." No mention of the low poly.

EDIT: I noticed that the bottom of barrels have visible seams and the texture isn't matching seamlessly when crossing seams.
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll go back and try to hide my seems better and add more variations to the material.

Here's the wireframe. It's 27,114 tris, but I do have to go back and do some clean up. Also I use Substance painter 2 for texturing.

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Alright then, looks pretty good, but there is still some unoptimized flat surface areas where some edges aren't doing anything to support the silhouette of the model. You also seem to have some n-gons there. You should have only quads and tris when making a low poly which will triangulate better than any n-gon, before baking.

Keep working! (;
  • ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some clean up and added some more details (like welding marks). I also took renders from a bunch of different angles so let me know how it looks. This is probably one of my last update as this is pretty much done and I don't feel that motivated to work on it anymore, unless there is something major I have to change.

• ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good I really like the model and shapes. For me I think there needs to be some more material definition between the rust and metal particularly on the barrel. At the moment it the rust and metal look like they are blended together and you can see through your rust to the metal. I think the rust shouldn't be see through and should be broken up in places (so not completely covering the barrel). Hopefully this picture helps explain what I mean.

• ftsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You make a good point. I'll go change it when I can. Thanks for the tip.