Home Technical Talk

Mari: Texture looks pixelated. (with pics because you deserve it)

djordan
vertex
Offline / Send Message
djordan vertex
Hi all, I'm using Mari v3.1 v3 and I've run into a problem with texturing. I modeled a house and unwrapped each component's UVs (the roof, windows, door, siding, etc.) and placed them across multiple UV tiles for max res.  I exported all the objects into one .obj file and imported that into Mari.

In Mari, I notice that the brushes and images I use look pixelated. (By the way, I'm trying to paint 2k textures). The smaller the brush size, the more pixelated it becomes. Same with images. If I scale down an image in Mari, it looks awful. 

I can't help but think this is related to texel density with the UVs, but if i scale the UVs up they go out of bounds. They're too big and I'd have to increase the number of UV tiles to get a more decent resolution (I think).  I'm trying to not go over 25-30 udims, if possible. 

Is there a reason why my textures look blurry? Are my UVs stretched? Is it texel density? How do I fix my problem?
Thanks in advance. Sorry for my noobness. I'm new to mari and mult-tile texturing :o    <3

Replies

• onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    try setting your paint buffer to 4096 instead. for the bricks I would use triplanar projection so that you get uniform brick size across with not much effort. plus it will reduce seams. Also i would paint in 16 bit if your machine can handle it, because it reduces the artifacts when your bake down the textures
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    +1 to above post. Also i think a texture resolution of at least 4k is required for the building, otherwise your textures will get pixelated. Either increase texture/map resolution or increase the number of patches. And when using triplaner projection, do a test resolution check by merging the triplaner projection layer to check whether it is pixelating.