Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

3D Character Animation Reel - Feedback - Student

enveh
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
enveh polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone,

I'm actually looking for an intern/entry level job and I would like to have some feedback on my demo reel.

Thanks !

Replies

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    good looking animations! but don't show the dog locomotion cycles twice.
  • enveh
    Offline / Send Message
    enveh polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks Hito ! I did it because the first part is just cycles and the second one is cycles with transitions but I guess I will just keep the transition one :)
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Ah I see. the transitions don't read like transitions. it just looks like one clip ended and next one started.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    You have some nice variety! Biped walks are tricky, quadruped walks are even harder. Reference is your best friend in this case.

The thing that stuck out to me the most was how little shoulder motion there was. As the leg takes the weight the shoulder will rotate up. Also keep an eye on the back legs. At the slowest speed they are coming up a little high. Every living thing exerts as little effort as possible to locomote and the higher the leg raises the more effort it would take.

The gallop has nice personality, but it's very noisy. When an animal runs they need to keep the head relatively still so they can keep their bearings. Watch a cheetah run or search YouTube for people holding chickens and watch how they compensate to keep their head still.
  • enveh
    Offline / Send Message
    enveh polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for your feedback Anthony! I will fix that soon.
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Nice stuff!

I think the dog run could use some work, it has a see-saw like motion which is common in rodents and not so much in a dogs gallop.

When the guy throws the rock to distract the guard, he has a big reaction, I was expecting him to walk quickly or even run to investigate but he just casually and slowly walks down the steps. It feels off.
  • enveh
    Offline / Send Message
    enveh polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks ! I agree with you, the animation of the guard could be different, i will change that as soon as possible.