Home Career & Education

Anyone over 40 and just starting out?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
That's me.

A few months ago I attempted to use my VA benefit (which is not GI Bill. Long story) to attend Gnomon full-time. My VA counselor stabbed me in the back and denied the benefit at the last minute. I am more bummed out than angry.

I don't have that much option left than going to a local community college to take some modeling classes, spanning around three semesters. After that, I don't know. I mostly dabbled with Modo and I do know how to use Maya a lil bit. And the school uses Maya as the tool. But truth be told I decided to stick with Modo personally, while learning modeling with Maya. 

I love to design vehicle and mechs, along with semi-stylized characters. I know, it's a bit weird combination if applied to 3D. And this is why I am sticking with Modo since it's a fast and efficient modeler, if you can get through the headache of subdivision modeling. 

I am 41, working in retail in a bad neighborhood with choke-full of chulos. Fortunately most customers don't disrespect a quiet Asian store clerk like me. But I feel dead inside. I do have my useless BFA from a state university, and it only adds more despair. And due to my unusual situation related to my military service, I got 80% disability rating without losing any limb or sanity. (well, I did go batshit insane during the service and that eventually built up to 80% disability rating.) And I get paid accordingly. I applied for upgrading my discharge status from General to Honorable, if that is cleared I can use my vocational rehabilitation benefit with a fat allowance around $2500 per month, since I live near Los Angeles. 

If that happens, I will save up the monthly allowances to take a couple of  Modo classes at Art Center and individual modeling classes at Gnomon, And I am giving myself 4 years to build up my skill to employable level. But, as you see my future plan depends on some really uncertain factors. 

Even if the plans work out, I need to manage my schedules to immerse myself in the craft. With a broken self discipline and motivation I don't know how to rebuild my passion and discipline. 

I wonder if any of you have similar situation: the education plan being dependent on one major uncertain factor.

Replies