Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Diablo II - Necromance LVL 1 fan remake

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Leon_Raven polycounter lvl 9
Hi All,

I am working on this "remake" of the "Lvl 1 Necromancer" from Diablo II. 

Any critique on any aspect of this char is more then welcomed (actually encouraged!!), but what I am really struggling with is the poly hair positioning and texturing (specifically coming up with a decent alpha map). If any of you could spare a few words of advice about it this is where I am at the moment. 

UPDATE (18/05):

Replies

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Are you working with a volume/shell underneath the hair cards, or is it cards through and through? It looks like you have a solid base, by the neck?

When it comes to hair I would suggest to have at least 3 layers of cards;
    1.  Base layer (almost solid card, with only transparency at the ends to make a nice, non linear, edge. also makes for nice transitions)
    2. mid layer (with alpha). Use this to create volume and shape. And to cover up the base layer.
    3. Fly-away's (only a few strands) to add character and life to the hair.

When you work, try to work in volume shapes. And get references for your hairstyle. Try to get as many angles as you can so that you have something to look back on when you're working. 
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Sanna, :)

At the moment I am working with a poly base + poly cards (see image below)

So would you advice using the polyplanes I have (number 2) as something to keep adding planes on top?

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Hi Leo, ;)
    Hm, first of all I'd advice to lower the polycount on your base, since it is just the volume, and will be covered up completely, you only need enough loops to keep that volume. 

After that I would probably be a pain in the butt and tell you to redo your #2 (planes) to make a base layer with wider planes, with no alpha. Basically to just cover up the volume with hair cards. This layer can have some intersections between the planes, as they will be covered. However make sure that you don't have too many. 

Then I'd create another layer on top of that, with transparency, to build up the clumps of hair that is making up your hair style. These can be the narrower cards. And they should not intersect, as these intersections can be seen. 
    For this layer I would look at references and identify clumps of hair that you can work with, and replicate in your model with the cards. 

On top of this layer you add the fly away strands to make it imperfect.. there's always going to be hair on the loose, having contact with outer space and generally looking a bit like albert einstein..... maybe not so much though xD

• Elithenia
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much Sanna,

I was already this close to restart the process of the planes all over. I can probably salvage some poly hair from my current second base to use in the third layer, after I have created the secondary shell you are talking about. Thank for the tutorial! I'll look into that.

Small update: while I was waiting for advices I focused on the skin... So I changed the texturing of the face. Feedback on this? 

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    For the skin, I would look into using SSS. As right now it comes off a little bit like rubber, or waxy.  
    You need to have the redness from the blood showing through to make it look a bit more alive. You have blue tones in the skin as well, especially since it is a man, he might have some stubble or some blueish shades where he has shaved it off. 
    You need a bit more variety of tones of the skin, get a subdermis map, and a bit of specularity to it as well. 

Keep up the good work :) 
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much Sanna, I'll look into that. 

small update on the poly hair. I finally got a strong and pretty polished middle shell. I still need to work out the alpha to fade out the hair line. I guess what you were saying is now add thinner and smaller strings on top of it to cover seams and add variation, right? Any other feedback on it would be great! 
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Exactly. I think there is a lot of that in the link above. :) 
    When you've done the alphas for the end of the hair you can use the same edges for the transitioning hairline. 
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    @Pav3d just posted a really cool explanation of how the hair was done for the Bloodborne Hunter Fanart... might want to have a look at that :)
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2539950/#Comment_2539950
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here's some updates: 

I have been spending some time preparing him for final showcase. What do you guys think?