Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mer-Mates

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, I'd like to document the progress of Mer-Mates, a collaborative art project that gemmasuen and I have started. The aim of Mer-Mates is to gain xp creating fun stylized designs and ultimately model up a sketchfab or marmoset viewer diorama.

So I'll start off by sharing the idea Gemma sketched up for the diorama. I liked that you can easily see how everything will occupy 3d space here. We will likely deviate a little, maybe explore which animals and vegetation compliment the character the best. Some of the inspiration we took for the idea came from Disney films where the protagonist often has an entourage of cute animal pals.

In this image we tag teamed to establish a look and feel for the underwater portion of the scene. Gemma penned these fighting fish inspired character designs and I did a quick lighting pass. 

I started some animal exploration, we thought a cuttle fish might be a cool creature to have in the scene, maybe poking out through some sand or something. We want the animals to look expressive but necessarily fully personified. Think Poccahontas' raccoon vs Alladin's Iago.

Some very early exploration before we settled on the diorama design.

Replies