Home Technical Talk

Please suggest a good 1 TB internal hardisk.

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
demigodssw greentooth
Hi guys,
My old hard disk is about to die and I would like to purchase a new one. Could u guys suggest me a value for money and reliable 1TB internal hardrive for my pc.
 I have shortlisted "Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA Internal Desktop Hard Drive (ST1000DM010)" should i go forward with this or is there a better option u guys know.

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    My 2TB Seagate hard drive has been very solid and reliable over the past 2 years. I don't see any particular reason why the 1TB should be unreliable considering the good reputation that Seagate has. 

Also if you do not have an SSD yet, you may want to consider it as it speeds things up a lot.
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I have two samsung 1TB and one Tauro 1TB. The samsungs has been reliable for the 3-4+ years that I've had them. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Just don't buy hitachi :'D  Its really cheap, but very very loud, and slow. I have one.
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    Thanks for your valuable advice guys, I will look for more options in samsung and seagate, hitachi has been black listed  :D.
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    RobeOmega said:
    My 2TB Seagate hard drive has been very solid and reliable over the past 2 years. I don't see any particular reason why the 1TB should be unreliable considering the good reputation that Seagate has. 

Also if you do not have an SSD yet, you may want to consider it as it speeds things up a lot.
    what kind of data do u keep in ur ssd ? I am planning to buy 1 later but some of my friends told me that it will just decrease my pc's startup time.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    How do you know that your HD is about to die? (So I can keep an eye on mine for that.)
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I had a HDD die at work. The previous day it was really really slow, including Windows load times, opening an explorer window, etc. When it happened, I was opening Perforce, but it froze up after taking far too long, I tried going in explorer to the respective folder, but it wouldn't load anything, then the whole drive disappeared from my computer, and that was that.
  • janoshx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    janoshx polycounter lvl 6
    I highly recommend to get 500G SSD drive. It is really worth every penny and you will see a huge difference
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    RN said:
    How do you know that your HD is about to die? (So I can keep an eye on mine for that.)
    For me I know my HD is about to do die because -
    • My computer is giving blue screen errors frequently, I thought there must be some problem in the operating system, so i upgraded from windows 7 to 10. Things were good for some time, but soon the blue screen errors came back.
    • Sometime my pc would become increadibly slow for no good reason.
    • Sometime My Pc is unable to load windows file, I fix it temporarily using system restore but it only fixes the issue for 1 or 2 weeks.
    • I also used a hard disk diagnostics software "CrystalDiskInfo" http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html
        After experiencing all this I am sure my windows is stored in a bad sector and is getting corrupted again and again.
    • HeadClot
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
      I use a Western Digital Caviar Blue. I like it :)
    • demigodssw
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      demigodssw greentooth
      janoshx said:
      I highly recommend to get 500G SSD drive. It is really worth every penny and you will see a huge difference
      I looked at some ssd's but they seem to be too expensive man, I might buy one when their price drops a bit.
    • RN
      Options
      Offline / Send Message
      RN sublime tool
      It doesn't have to be 500GB, unless you can afford it. You can consider smaller capacities.

You usually use a SSD as your OS and software drive. If you take all the software that you plan to use in your career (including game engines) it shouldn't take up more than 128GB.

For general data storage you have the 1TB hard-disk where you keep your projects, resources etc.
      Some people might keep working files in the SSD for faster loading, but that's optional. You're talking about a few seconds faster loading, not sure if it compensates the extra reads\writes that SSDs are sensitive to.