Home Adobe Substance

Stuck on a youtube tutorial - what nodes does he use?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ariannwyn polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, I need help with substance designer - I am trying to teach it to myself
I am following these youtube videos and here he is combining two AO nodes into one, and I have NO idea how he did it

and here he combined two nodes into an FX map node but when I did it, it ends up being blank!

Here are the links to the videos:
https://youtu.be/VTwNfbvEQVY
https://youtu.be/kuy5YN9mIlY

Thanks!

Replies

• StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    Combining AO will just be a blend set on multiply.

FX maps are pretty complex beasts. So much so that entire second video is dedicated to creating the node to add the footprints. Make sure you watch the entire video, follow it closely, its quite easy to make mistakes particularly on the "code" side of things.

If you feel like you have followed it closely you will need to debug it, find out at what point in the chain the issues start and then go from there. 

• Ariannwyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean he explains it after that? Well I guess I should have finished the video before I asked - doh! 

Thank you so much for your help! I didn't know that about FX maps.

Only thing is, combining the AO nodes into a blend node doesn't work, because the AO node won't connect

• StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    I've been finding designer bugs out a bit lately. Some times node A>B does not work try to connecting backwards B>A
  • MatejCH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MatejCH polycounter lvl 6
     Picture on top. He is using Dirt node and he plugs curvature smooth and ambient occlusion into it. When you hover over inputs of dirt node, it shows you what you need to plug in, its not another AO node. For second picture you need to setup FX-map, so go to edit and set it as shown in 8:57 in second video.
  • Ariannwyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay yes it looks like he does use the dirt node, and I was able to connect the first AO node to it, but the second one won't connect even if I try connecting it backwards