Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio advice

sinnart
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
sinnart polycounter lvl 5
Hi, its Sinnart. I'm currently working as a freelance 3D artist and collaborating with two indie companies. Could you give me some advice? What's your first impression about my portfolio? (link below) What would you change about it?

http://www.artstation.com/artist/sinnart

Thanks

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I think if you're looking to have your portfolio reviewed, it might have been better to post in the 3D Art & Critique forum :P

My advice is to show a specialization in your portfolio. Not to say that there aren't roles for generalists in the industry, but most studios will hire for a specific role. And also, like the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none",  this is reflected in your folio. I can see that you're competent in creating a variety of assets, but you're not excellent in a particular area. So, my suggestion would pick a discipline and work on it until you are excellent at it.

Some quick critiques on the work in your folio:

- The environment lacks lighting and shading. Textures need more vibrancy and "life" to them. If you're going with hand painted, you need to try to approach the quality that Blizzard does. You should also learn to bake out some of the details from a high poly model

- The characters are mostly cartoon style and flat looking textures. This is a style choice but finding a studio that works only with this style will be difficult. You need to show that you understand about anatomy and more shading and lighting in your textures. You're starting to show this with your Bear Monster sculpt, but you need to push it more and then bake and texture a final model.

- The best things in your folio right now are the weapons, but I feel they still need more vibrancy in the textures. What would be better is that if you also created a character for these weapons

Anyways, hope this helps

• sinnart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinnart polycounter lvl 5
    Hm, you are right. I've been trying to demonstrate that I can do "everything", because I thought that become a character artist in my first job  would be too hard, but it just doesn't work. I'll work harder to make a better porfolio following your advices. Thanks!

PD: I posted here because it's related to something kind of "educational". Next time I'll post there!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving this to 3D Showcase.