Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mage character critique/paintover request.

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Kogoshi polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys, so I've been working on this guy for a while now to beef up my portfolio to try land my first job. He's a mage/sorcerer who is designed as a sort of younger more agile/physical magic practitioner. My inspiration comes from the simplistic character design from Magicka, and kind of a cross between FF14's clean detail and Skyrims dark grittiness.   

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvnaf0qwn3wv7rq/mood.jpg?dl=0  - Quick mood sheet to convey where my inspiration is coming from.  

So this is game engine intended at 8k polys, I'd ideally like to just add some normal details in substance painter - I quickly painted on some cloth seams to see how they would look, but I definitely need to re-do them and spend a bit more time on that.   

I feel like it just needs breaking up a little, maybe in the hood/boot area to give some stronger focal points. Any crit/ideas would be much appreciated! I would like to wrap this up soon and get started on my next project though as my portfolio really needs more stuff putting in, and I've spent too long on this already!  

Thanks in advance guys.  

Replies

• Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man, 

First off why would you like to make the boots a vocal point also you can't really make the hood a vocal point since a face is the strongest vocal point you can have in a character. There are exceptions tho here is one the vocal point is clearly the big purple dildo.

Sorry haha but on a more serious note If you ask me the biggest thing what you character is missing is interest. There isn't any color that makes any strong contrast also no lines that lead your eyes to anything. important try adding those in your model. Also a great way to add more stuff to your character is by adding a weapon on the back now you can make stuff to support that weapon. 

I would try to add some vibrant colors in it this will add a lot more interest. A great way to do that with a mage is a potion and a glowing staff crystal or something crazy like that. And just some extra details like a ring and stuff.Try to look at your mood board and ask your self why do I like these characters what makes me look at them for more than just a second and click away.

Also It's important to try to think a story behind your character the one I used here is he is a poor traveler who walks to cities to trade magic stuff. Now you can support that by adding some tears In clothes dirt on the textures. A bag where he can keep his money in, Bandages around a hand because he injured himself in nature. And so on. 

Also facial hair looks pretty dope on a lot of characters especially on characters from an older time perk because they shaved less back then.

Also I'm still learning a lot so don't take anything to heart and I'm sorry for my terrible drawing skills. 

Hope this helps a bit

• Kogoshi
    Offline / Send Message
    Kogoshi polycounter lvl 2
    Hey thanks man, I like the paintover, especially the hood seams and hand bandage - also a bit of beard does make sense, although I still want him to have a youthful look.  

I was actually thinking of having him hold a book in one hand as opposed to going for the staff direction, but yeah it's good feedback, thanks.