Home Technical Talk

Maya motionpath & flowpath error

Mcbeardo
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Mcbeardo polycounter lvl 4
This is odd, this worked previously for me, and now i can't make it work again.

So i have geometry, that i want to follow a curve.

So i click the geo and click the curve, animate/motionpath, and then animate/flowpath And the flowpath deformation geo is far from the original geo, before it contained the geo. 

And when i scroll the timeline it gets all distorted, so i thought, hey i bet this is about the Front or up axis right? Nah i got it to move cross the curve, but it has these really messed up twists along the way and part of the geo skyrocketed to an 3d galaxy far, far away.

What causes this? 
How can i fix this?
Cries. Is this like another of mayas "delete preferences" type thing or what. i am gonna try that now. But again,

Youtube does not have tutorials on this. The best tutorial i found was in some indian dialect. :worried:

Replies

• Mcbeardo
    Offline / Send Message
    deleted the prefs and it did nothing. :/
  • Mcbeardo
    Offline / Send Message
    So oh my god, this is insane, so i get it to work, the mesh was acting up since i had blendshapes on the mesh.
    Deleted those. 
    And saved to obj.
    Imported it back in to the scene.
    And attached to motion path, added the flowpath, and i get it to work.
    Almost.

the problem is the damn meshobject is facing the opposite direction of the path when after i add the flowpath deformer.
    So i try to change the direction by the axis values on the motion path and no matter what i try with, i can get it to orient in the correct direction.

I tried creating the curve  from left to right, instead of right to left. But then the whole animation is reversed.
    This must be one of the most complicated things ive ever been through.