Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Helluvallyric

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Helluvallyric polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone :3
I hope you're having a nice day and overall doing great.

Finally decided to join the polycount community. I've been looking through the ocean of threads on this forum for abour a year (since i've devoted myself to 3D art and gamedev in particular). It is really exciting for me to browse through awesome art, that members of this forum create. Although it makes me kinda jealous (in a good way), I hope some day I'll get to the same level or higher.

I'm a part of a small indie game dev team, mainly focusing on environmental level design. But, if you know what it's like to work in an indie team, you know that you have no right to do only one thing due to the lack of experience and people on the team xd

I'm using ZBrush, Maya, Photoshop and Unreal Engine for my, well, attempts to get better, so I really appreciate any and all the feedback I can get. Hope you'll be able to give me some advice. Thank you very much in advance.

Also posting some stuff here: https://www.facebook.com/helluvaart

Replies

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    Lately I've practicing anatomy and overall body proportions, since from time to time our main Character Artist needs help and I'm trying to make his life at least a bit simpler.

In this case I've focused on proportions. I think i got it right, but again, i'd be glad for your feedback.
    Anatomy wasn't the main focus of this exercise, but I'll still be glad for feedback on it as well.

Thank you in advance :3

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    There was a game jam couple of days ago. We gave it a shot and tried to do something in lowpoly, just as an experience.
    That's not an end result, but somewhat close.
    I actually like how it looks. Maybe someone will have some tips for me :C
    p.s. Sorry for all the unnecessary icons. Took this screeshot directly from Unreal.

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Keep up the good work and keep practising! 
    Most of it will stick once you've done it enough times. 

I would say for your model above, to have a look at how thin the model is around the rib cage. 
    With shoulders that broad, it feels like the rib cage would need to be a bit broader as well to support. 
  • Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia said:
    Keep up the good work and keep practising! 
    Most of it will stick once you've done it enough times. 

I would say for your model above, to have a look at how thin the model is around the rib cage. 
    With shoulders that broad, it feels like the rib cage would need to be a bit broader as well to support. 

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll give it a shot and improve in my next figure sculpt :3
  • Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like I have to step up my game and post here much more often than I currently do :c
    As I mentioned before, my team and I are working on a game.
    Below I've shared couple of sculpts with characters for it.

The first one is some kind of magic dude, a shaman, who is the main antagonist of the game. Nothing really fancy. Tbh I couldn't come up with more creative design due to lack of experience and I'm really upset about it. But it'll come I guess.

Second one is one of the bosses. The game will be divided into zones with different environment. Since the first zone will be in Icy environment, the first boss, naturally, is made of ice.
    The goal was to create resemblance between the boss and the shaman (since he's the one who creates him). Also I've tried really hard to create this feeling that he's made of ice. Partially materials will cover this aspect, but personally I think body and hands with this chunky ice-like parts are turned out to be quite fine.

P.S. Also pay no attention to the absence of the legs, he'll be staying in water and isn't supposed to be seen below waist area.
    I just hope he doesn't have a wife :C

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow it's been a while since my last post. I'm planning to revive the thread and post regularly now. Hopefully this idea will come to fruition.
    And as my first post in my self created new age of posting (lol), rough sketch for the head, have been practicing the anatomy extensively these days (months) :s

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    The blockout of the character I'm making for one indie gamedev :3

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started to watch the anatomy course by Scott Eaton, it's been a long time coming. The course itself is amazing, definitely recommend to everyone. For now - quick sketch for torso.

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass on texturing the guy above. Substance Painter is used (and quite frankly - makes it a piece of cake xd)
  • Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    It was a rather tough day, so I just turned off my brain or whatever I have in there and there it is... yeah xd

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been a bit busy last few days, hopefully will get back on track asap :3 For now, there's some kind of alien dude :D Speedsculpted within 1 hour, rendered in Zbrush and Photoshop

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    Gradually branching off sculpting ONLY heads. Quick retopo and UV in ZBrush and texturing in Substance Painter, just to be fancy :D 

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    Another practice piece. Startin to feel body proportions somewhat better than before
  • Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    Another practice. I switched to the girl, the main goal was to make a more or less pretty face, which at least looks like a woman's one, I consider this task successful, but the nipples are slipped way too much xD. When I do this kind of practice pieces, I never plan a specific image for a character, but I add at least something that would just be interesting. This time I imagined the character to be some kind of forest elf

• Helluvallyric
  • Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! I was out for a little while. Had sorta like a vacation, decided to have some rest and get back to work full force. Here's a speed sculpt as a sign of me coming back to life :D No fancy textures this time, but I will give this guy some polish later :3

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    I set myself the task to practice using the Marmoset Toolbag for presentation and I also wanted to finally start messing around with the skin shader there. The skin shader turned out to have its own problems, of course, at first I couldn’t get it to work, then Google suggested that the size of the model should be made more realistic, since the lighting on the skin is calculated on the basis of millimeters. Nevertheless, the skin still turned out to be more shiny than necessary: ​​S But in general it is already better than before. If anyone has any tips on setting the skin shader up in Marmoset, you are more than welcome to contribute :D

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    About a month ago I was doing work for one contest in the Warhammer universe. The competition itself was not successful due to lack of skill, but the experience was interesting and entertaining. Character: Mad Dok Grotsnik.

• Helluvallyric
    Offline / Send Message
    Continued working on my MechaHellboy dude. For now it is a bit drafty, I've changed quite a few things, soon gonna polish everything, break the clothing symmetry and getting ready for retopo

• Helluvallyric