Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(wip) Dragon bust

oreoorbitz
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
Edit: latest progress  

Hi. So I've working on this piece with my mentor for a while. It's roughly based off a concept by J.D austin but I deviated a lot in certain areas.

I use iguana's, alligators and Galapagos turtle's as a reference. My focus was to make the creature menacing but still have "believable" anatomy.

I feel done with the HI poly so I'm going to move unto texturing. This will be the first time I try to fully texture a model so it will be quite a challenge.

Replies

• oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So i've started the texture. I"m usingthe galapago turtle, and the aligator as a inspiration. So far all texturing done is substance painter.
  • Aveon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aveon polycounter lvl 3
    nice! Substance's lighting never does it justice though haha. Maybe it could be afforded to turn the normals up?
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Really cool design, reminds me a lot of monster hunter. would lov to see a 3/4 view.
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Things I'm thinking of doing/ should do

.Reduce the level of normal detail on the black horns to coincide with the roughness level they have, or increase the roughness ot make less shinny.
    . Add some small black spots on the light scales, like alligators have.
    .change the surface detail of the beak so its more directional
    .decide how shinny I want the lighter horns. I think they should be less shinny
    . add a diferent texture in the area where the black horne is damaged
    . maybe add some more color blotches here and there
    . i'm think of adding a ringed texture to the light horns maybe changing their shape. I'm not really happy with them at the moment
    Open to any suggestions
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i've expirmented with uping the roughness, making the him less shiny overall. also added some changes mentioned above.

• oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok few changes here and there, I added a specular levels map to act as a cavity and make the scales pop out more. resized the eye so the pick oif the socket doesn't show as much. played with a few things here and there. I tried to add a background geo but isn't quite working right.
    [

• Wayfray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wayfray polycounter lvl 9
    Agree with Lotet, I like the design. I like the specular masking and the overall features are inventive. Maybe add more glossiness to the horns to contrast with the scales.
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    this is coming along quite nicely, what are you texturing in?
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So taking a sugestion from my mentor, I tried varying the hues, I quickly changed the dark scales and the dark horns from brown to pale blue, to try to add some contrast, I also added another orange hue here and there. I also upped the gloss o the horns and dark scales again, since it they were getting to dry.

jose.fuentes Substance painter
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh gawd. I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I have about 1 week about free time left, so i'm going to try to "finish" this before then.

• oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i'm pretty much done now. just going to do some editing in photoshop

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    The texturing is really nice except for the inside of the mouth but I'm not sure what should be changed. It just feels a bit too evenly coloured.
    The front of the lower jaw where the pink flesh meets the scale seems a bit odd to me since its such a flat transition between two vastly different types of material.

Great job over all though