Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baby Modeler Here: Critique my Wallet Model

Y'all know what to do. I'm just starting out in 3D modeling in Maya (I focus in 3D logo/typographic animation in C4D and character animation in Maya) and I'm starting to model assets for a game I'm helping to develop called The Space Between. How can I clean up this wallet model so it's easier to UV? I know some of the edge loops are wonky. Hint: I need to keep the polys under 1k.

Thanks mucho in advance!

's polys s

Replies

• Jakro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    To begin with I would suggest removing edge loops that don't add to the actual form of the object. You have many edge loops that are completely unnecessary and will push your tri count up. In addition I would perhaps look at rounding the corners of the wallet a little so that the overall shape is less boxy. It's hard to tell what's going on on the part of the wallet that stores notes so I'll avoid commenting on that. Perhaps look into how other artists have produced similar assets? Examine how they distributed their geometry and think about overall topology and form. You want the model to shade nicely too. In the corners of the wallet there are show shading issues. This is likely caused by split normals/smoothing groups/topology. UVing of this asset should be rather simple, I would start by splitting the uv's into two islands, one for the inside of the wallet and one for the outside.