Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kirsch Desk Prop

lannia
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
lannia polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys!

This is my first ever post here... I'm terrified. (I stalk here a lot)

I've been working on this prop on and off for the past few months, it's modelled in Maya and textured with Substance Painter. I based it on a lot of cool abandoned photography from Maison Kirsch (would like to create a few more props based on this place!). The maps are all 4k, my goal was to try to achieve higher detail in the textures...

I've got to the point where I really need fresh eyes on it, and I'm stuck of where to go render-wise to present it, but I would really to get it to feel right for my portfolio.

This is how it looks currently, trying out some lighting/rendering in Marmoset:

I'll follow up with more pics so this first post isn't too image-heavy!

Replies

• lannia
    Offline / Send Message
    lannia polycounter lvl 2
    Here's a few quick wireframe images...

Lamp:

Chair (substance render):

Cup:

Books?:

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Nice work. The current presentation seems fine for showing off the model and textures; maybe you could play around with a darker scene with the lamp on for more of a secretive mood. Maybe you can throw in a quick floor if you go that route. Just some thoughts.

One thing, the text on the book looks a little odd on the (screen right) page, like it's pushed out / embossed. If you're using normals for that maybe ease up or remove it, unless it's meant to be braille. Hard to get a good look from that distance anyway; it might just be the lighting.
  • lannia
    Offline / Send Message
    lannia polycounter lvl 2
    Bek said:
    Nice work. The current presentation seems fine for showing off the model and textures; maybe you could play around with a darker scene with the lamp on for more of a secretive mood. Maybe you can throw in a quick floor if you go that route. Just some thoughts.

One thing, the text on the book looks a little odd on the (screen right) page, like it's pushed out / embossed. If you're using normals for that maybe ease up or remove it, unless it's meant to be braille. Hard to get a good look from that distance anyway; it might just be the lighting.
    Thank you for the suggestions! I think I'll try out some stuff like this next and see how it turns out.

No, your eyesight is correct! I embossed it a little, so it's good to know that it might look strange, I was trying something out with them (still not sure I'm happy with the texture of the open book). 
  • Vincent3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
    Hey man it looks good! Just one thing,watch for the edge loops,if you don't need it to go all around,collapse them right after your detailed part. You're going to save a lot of poly. Cheers!
  • lannia
    Offline / Send Message
    lannia polycounter lvl 2
    Vincent3d said:
    Hey man it looks good! Just one thing,watch for the edge loops,if you don't need it to go all around,collapse them right after your detailed part. You're going to save a lot of poly. Cheers!
    Thanks a lot! Ah that's a good tip, I hadn't really thought about that.