Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Figure Loops Feedback

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey,

Polycount virgin here.

Would just like feedback on my loops.

I am pretty sure that the distribution of my polygons is too much based upon my perception of the body-shapes, and should be more evenly distributed.
Also, I assume the slight spiraling I have from the torso side to the front of the legs is BAD, right?

Feedback much appreciated.

Replies

• vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    Good start :)

Important thing is to know where you are going to take this model. Is it staying in low poly? or is it going to be used as a base mesh for sculpting in high poly?

If it's staying in low poly, then you don't need to worry about triangles (any experts on this, please correct me!). In this case, there is more flexibility and you can weld some loops together to follow the forms more closely with triangles not being a problem. 

It's difficult to suggest exactly how to make this area cleaner with out having the mesh to play around with myself, but i think it could be done better perhaps.

For the backside, i suggest something more like this might be better.

• Jimbobbedyjobob
    @vavavoom   &  @dustinbrown

I would like to use this lower poly mesh as a base to make a more detailed, higher poly version in Zbrush, which I can then bake back into this low poly version.

Honestly, she doesn't have a defined purpose yet. She is just a character that lives in my head and needs to come out. Though I do have a very short animation in mind, just as a test.

I'll keep playing with Verdigris' nethers to see if I can improve them.
  • Jimbobbedyjobob

as per @vavavoom's advice... tidied up Verdigris' pubis and glutes.

it gets a bit tricky on her SB... but no ACTUAL triangles. All quads.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    If you're using it to take into zbrush, I wouldn't be too concerned...seems ok right now.  Just keep it pretty even and no tris.  The transition from the torso to the legs could be better but not a huge deal.  more important is if you plan on doing a low poly later, the retopo mesh should have proper cuts so you can better pose or animate the character.
  • Jimbobbedyjobob

HOW important is the "No Triangles" thing, when importing a mesh into Zbrush?
    I think I have the rest of the character pretty well done.
    I think there are decent allowances for animation down the line.

I just can't get rid of these three triangles on her Ear, Nose and under her Little Toe!

Can I still import it to Zbrush, work on her, and fill these gaps as tris later on?

• jacopoS
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS polycounter
    Hi,
    you can import the mesh into ZBrush even if it contains triangles. You'll get a small discontinuity right in the center of each triangle while sculpring. If they're hidden well enough and they're not too many and too close to each other, you should be totally fine.
    Make sure you hane no n-gons though (polygons with more than 4 sides). If you have those, ZBrush will ask you how to interpret them.
    Also, do not leave that triangular gap underneath the toe. You had better fill it before importing into zbrush. There's simply no good reason to do that later in ZBrush.
    With that said, it is always possible to make a full quad topology. I suggest you try as hard as you can as an exercise ;)